Wall Towers without Walls

dolomiti

Currently building powerful Wall Towers is possible without building Walls. The AI enemy is often using this to create a "forest" of wall towers built instead of regular towers, which looks strange. But why not use the regular, and weaker towers for this purpose, and allow building the Wall Towers only within a wall? In my opinion wall towers are overpowered as the are implemented right now, because it is difficult to destroy them with siege engines, but they can easily be built. This can be deferred by only allowing to build Wall Towers within walls.

Er... given that the AI can't build walls, I think those are regular towers that you're seeing.

Wall towers are actually weaker than regular ones, with the exception that non-siege units can't attack them. The plan is eventually to have wall towers not shoot unless garrisoned, which would make this a non-issue.

Edited by alpha123

Sorry alpha, you are completely wrong.

Wall towers are not weaker than regular towers!

Wall towers have 4000 hp and regular towers have 1200 hp.

Also i think that the AI does delete the walls to save resources, yes. It is just using the towers as defense.

Thanks for your responses.

Edited by dolomiti

Sorry alpha, you are completely wrong.

Wall towers are not weaker than regular towers!

Wall towers have 4000 hp and regular towers have 1200 hp.

Don't think I don't know this game. ;)

Wall towers don't benefit from the Crenellations tech, which gives 40% more arrows for each garrisoned soldier and is basically necessary for effective tower usage. Also, regular towers have significantly better range.

HP doesn't mean a whole lot. If you can't take out enemy siege equipment it doesn't really matter whether your towers have 1000 HP or 5000 HP. Current wisdom is to use fully garrisoned regular towers and fortresses in conjunction with archer balls to take out enemy spearmen so that your melee cavalry have easy access to enemy siege equipment. Catapults have greater range than wall towers, but not regular towers, so wall towers are not particularly useful for defense. There's a reason competitive players rarely use walls.

Also i think that the AI does delete the walls to save resources, yes. It is just using the towers as defense.

The only way the AI can get walls to begin with is if it's playing as the Iberian civ, in which case it might delete it's towers to avoid the problem of pathfinding around gates (units tend to get stuck).

Basically, the AI doesn't support walls at all right now. It can't build them and if it starts with them they only hinder it.

• Like 2