[W7] Setup doesn't require admin -> error

Arogtar

Hey there,

can't say anything about the game yet, but I sure liked the preview from golem, so there might be more stuff coming in ;)

Given:

W7 x64

Permissions like on the attached screenshot (access.JPG).

Problem:

Setup can only be run as administrator, but it doesn't require those permissions on startup, so no writing to the HDD is possible (error.JPG).

Cause:

I wiped my system drive some time ago, therefore the currently set SID (which used to define owner and access permissions) of G:\Games is gone.

Restriction:

I guess this will only occure on systems where W7 has at least once been installed before.

At least I don't remember such problems when upgrading from XP.

Solution:

Let setup require administrative permissions on run :)

Impact:

I honestly don't think this is a rare problem.

Also it can't easily be fixed because taking ownership of the dir is not enough, you pretty much have to clean up after Microsoft here...and by "clean up" I mean "fix everything in recursive mode"...

In short: The common user won't do it.

(And I won't neither :D)

Greetings

Oliver

post-15081-0-97096900-1355873278_thumb.j

post-15081-0-38953200-1355873286_thumb.j

Edited by Arogtar

You're not installing it to the default location, which is in the user's home directory (you should have permission to do so unless something is very wrong). That is actually where Microsoft prefers applications install themselves, though most ignore that and use Program Files instead. If you need to install somewhere that requires admin permission, simply right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator", but most users won't have that problem and I haven't seen it reported very often.

You're not installing it to the default location, which is in the user's home directory (you should have permission to do so unless something is very wrong).

Sure, for the system is wiped this will be the case after every whatsoever install of W7.

That is actually where Microsoft prefers applications install themselves, though most ignore that and use Program Files instead.

Which is just dumb, but ok if you look at it from MS's perspective.

(They can't just preset everyone's HDD partitioning.)

If you need to install somewhere that requires admin permission, simply right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator", but most users won't have that problem and I haven't seen it reported very often.

Of course this will fix it, and that's what I already did.

Still, the wider this game will spread the more threads you will get like:

# Installer doesn't work ! And I didn't get a specific error :(

# Did you run as admin ?

# No !

# Please do

# Works !

The much simpler way to deal with this is to check if you can write to the install dir and throw an error if you can't.

(e.g. "please run as Administrator" or stuff)

Regards

Oliver

If you know you want to install the game in a non-default directory you should know what the permissions are for said directory, so I don't really see the issue in this case. As long as you install the game using the default options it should install without any issues, anything custom and you should be prepared to take responsibility for what you're doing. :)

• Like 1

Sure, and for I did know that I had no problem with it.

But take the casual guy who reinstalls windows and still has more than 1 partition which containts just EVERYTHING.

Long story short: If you like to cover up this case you can make the setup routing throw a more specific error.

At least "my non-IT guys" tend to have 2+ partitions, which might of course be a rare occasion - idk ;)

Not sure a casual guy would have more than one partition, but either way that's not the main thing, if we can have the installation application throw a clearer error message that would be great :) (Not sure how much we can do about this specifically as we're using some other software to create the setup application, but one of the programmers should know better what we can/can't do.)