Previewing a map in the game setup screen.

A few suggestions/requests. I think the map selection screen should show the player setups for scenarios to the host. Secondly, I don't think you should be able to launch the game from the map selection screen. I accidentally did this thinking it would take me back to the game setup screen.

Would be so much easier keeping our current layout and just sticking the map preview on it... :unsure:

Nah, it works fine. Most of the work is done. Just some tweaks needed.

Those tweaks are creating solutions to problems that need not exist in the first place (to cover up bad design choices), and I shudder to think at the uglification taking place in gamesetup,js :P Not to mention we're regressing and making the setup UI considerably less usable.

Why?

Isn't the host the only one that sees the map selection screen?

Those tweaks are creating solutions to problems that need not exist in the first place (to cover up bad design choices), and I shudder to think at the uglification taking place in gamesetup,js :P Not to mention we're regressing and making the setup UI considerably less usable.

So, then, you don't want a map preview or what? I think shoving everything into one 1024x768 space makes it ugly and unusable.

So, then, you don't want a map preview or what? I think shoving everything into one 1024x768 space makes it ugly and unusable.

It's just that all the fiddling to make client and host subtly different layouts doesn't make sense, they both need to see the exact same information, the only difference is the host can change what he sees. I believe that's the motivation behind the current layout. Buttons/dropdowns for the host become labels for the client. It makes even less sense to duplicate 90% of the "normal" host setup window for a new map selection window (now we're copying player assignments and all game options into it, but we still need to display this same info for the other cases).

The sticking point seems to be the host needing to see a complete list of maps, the client only needs to see the selected one. The solution requires some thinking "outside the box". Like:

* instead of showing a big (incomplete) list of maps that takes up loads of space, we could use a dropdown which serves the same purpose. We have too many maps to show on screen anyway, in a single control.

* If all dropdown/options were in a single column like your latest mockup, it would be clearer and more usable. Our current design has them all spread out so I agree that's not particularly usable.

* Instead of showing a full size map preview that takes up so much space, we could either: make a smaller iconified version, clicking it opens up a full size preview and description dialog (possibly combine this with tooltip description). Or we could make the map preview smaller at 1024x768 and scale it up as space allows. But with a combination of the first two points, this might not be necessary.

* If showing everything on screen at once is deemed too ugly, we can hide parts of the UI with a button, for instance click "Options >>" and the game options panel shows up. These would be local settings, not controlled by host. I like this idea less because we don't yet have persistent settings across sessions.

* instead of showing a big (incomplete) list of maps that takes up loads of space, we could use a dropdown which serves the same purpose. We have too many maps to show on screen anyway, in a single control.

showing the list in a dropdown might not be handy as scrolling a long list in a dropdown is often awkward. a scrolling list is more usable...

I too think that we should put the map list in a dropbox. That would fix most of the things including the need to switch between map selection and player assignment.

Edit: Mythos, can you make a mockup showing how do you like the game setup screen be with a dropdown map selection?

Could we have resolution dependent layouts? Like if the user had a 1024x768 screen we list maps in a dropdown but if the user has a larger screen we add a forth column to the right with a list of all the maps.

This is what it could look like on small screens

post-14700-0-78817300-1341852106_thumb.p

(I'll have a large screen mockup shortly)

It's getting there. Has all the major things we want. I feel like there will need to be more room for game options at 1024x768 in the future, but perhaps "additional game options" can be a popup window or it can arrow over or something.

One suggestion would be to put "Match Type" and then "Map Filter" above "Map" because what Maps are available are dependent upon the Match Type and filter. I think best to have a logical hierarchy. :)