having to revert - tortoise svn

plumo

Whenever I update the 0 AD folder with SVN tortoise: whenever there is a new autobuild I have to revert pyrogenesis.exe and pyrogenesis.pdb because they are conflicting. Strange thing is that it happens only after I build the game in release mode (with VS2010), in debug mode I don't get that problem. Sometimes the collada file needs reverting as well.

It happened with both SVN tortoise 1.6.X and 1.7.X series, always with VS2010. (I have windows 7 - 64 if that info helps).

I don't know if this is normal, but I just wanted to post it...

The debug build produces an .exe with a different name than the one in SVN, so that doesn't cause any problem. And the conflict isn't really much to worry about unless you absolutely cannot stand the notion of there being conflicts =) It's just the SVN saying that you have another version of those files, so nothing to worry about in that sense.

You can also check out the git version from https://github.com/0ad/0ad. It has the autobuild binaries excluded and ignored, so that you can go nuts with custom builds without it complaining about conflicts in the binaries. One thing to keep in mind if you're on Windows is that recently the AtlasUI and Collada DLLs were also removed from the git repository (to prevent the same kind of conflicts for developers who are working on Atlas), so the first time you'll have to make sure to do an Atlas build (pass the --atlas argument to update-workspaces)

K776 is in charge of keeping the git repository in sync with the SVN repo; I don't think it happens automatically, but I've never seen a delay of more than a few days, so it's not too bad.

Only revert if you want to play the autobuild version rather than your custom build (may be relevant for multiplayer games if it's been a while since the last autobuild). Normally, I just select the conflicting files in the update window and choose "resolve conflicts using mine", which makes the message go away. As Erik said, it's really nothing to worry about :)