0 A.D Specs

Graham

Hi All

First post here so please be gentle :). Could someone tell me what the minimum specs are for 0 A.D? I'm currently running Alpha 6 on Ubuntu 11.04 but finding the gameplay some what sluggish. This may be due to my old' ish computer :(. Saying that, Alpha 6 seems to be performing better than Alpha 5 so there may be help for me yet (plus I understands it's still alpha). My computer is an AMD 3200+ (2 GHz) with 1GB ram and an Nvidia FX5200 128MB graphics card.

Btw, this game is / looks amazing. Keep up the great work.

:)

Edit: Btw, I'm using Nvidia's graphics drivers

Edited by Graham

Hi,

I'm running it on x64 Arch Linux using an Intel Q6600 (Core 2, 4x2.4GHz) and a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT with 256 MB and propriatary Nvidia-driver. I'f done a RAM-upgrade a few days ago (2GB → 6GB) but that didn't really change something.

If I don't get to many troops in a battle (200 vs 200 is good, but shouldn't get much more) it runs smoothly.

I don't know, how much this will help you, but it propably gives you a list, that works OK.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the suggestions :). The game starts slow from the beginning so it's looking like my machine is showing it's age now. That said, I'll try those settings to see if doing this improves gameplay.

Thanks

Edit: Changed current version from Alpha 7 to 6 in my original post.

Edited by Graham

In case anybody else is having similar problems, adding "renderpath=fixed" to local.cfg has helped with responsivness (Thanks Philip). I haven't played a full game with this setting yet but at least it's easier to scroll through the map now and select/move characters.

Edited by Graham

Ah, interesting. Could you maybe check the framerate (press shift+F and look in top-left corner) with and without that option, to see how much effect it has? (You can change it by pressing F12 to open the console and entering renderer.renderpath="fixed" or renderer.renderpath="shader" to test both ways.)

Can anyone test this with a GeForce FX on Windows? I'd guess it's a hardware limitation (apparently 32-bit FP is very slow on GF FX, and the ARB shaders don't allow 16-bit FP so they'll be slow) so it should be the same there. Probably we should just default to the non-shader mode for all GF FX hardware.

Ah, interesting. Could you maybe check the framerate (press shift+F and look in top-left corner) with and without that option, to see how much effect it has? (You can change it by pressing F12 to open the console and entering renderer.renderpath="fixed" or renderer.renderpath="shader" to test both ways.)

Shader = 6fps (idle), 13fps (shadows and water reflections disabled)

Fixed = 12fps (idle), 17fps (shadows and water reflections disabled)