Lauching app in OSX

General Hannibal

I've gone through the tedious compiling of 0 A.D. earlier. Do I have to go through it every single time I want to load the game and play, or is there an easier way of doing it (even if I have to use terminal commands)?

I am no geek, and so any geeky help would be unintelligible to me, unfortunately, unless it's very specific (Step 1: "write exactly this;" Step 2: "Then write this" etc.)

Thanks!

Thankfully, no. If you've built the game, theoretically you'll never have to do it again! Although I would absolutely recommend recompiling once Alpha 4 makes an appearance - there's some new stuff that you won't want to miss. Unless you create an application via Automator, you'll have to do it by command line each time. When you run the game, type this into terminal:

cd /Users/.../0AD/binaries/system 
./pyrogenesis_dbg

If you don't want to have to open Terminal each time, you can do what I've done (until of course we've released an official binary for OSX - don't worry, it's coming):

1. Open Automator
  2. On the left panel looking through the library of commands with the "Actions" tab selected, search for "Run Shell Script" and drag this into the work area on the right.
  3. The drop down on the top should already say "/bin/bash". If so, leave it alone.
  4. In the text area, paste the same two commands that you'd type into Terminal on separate lines, obviously replacing the "..." with wherever the path to your 0 A.D. folder is.
  5. Save this as an Application to wherever you want. Since your file paths are not relative, it doesn't matter where you save the file.

As for recompiling, just do these commands in order each time (after updating SVN of course, which depends on your client):

cd /Users/.../0AD/build/workspaces/
./update-workspaces.sh
cd gcc
make -j3

Additionally, you don't need to edit your workflow application(s) each time you compile. Just wait for 'make' to finish and you can run your fresh build from the same apps.

My battery died on my laptop and so the computer shut down. It seems I'm going to have to rebuild the game and then launch it again. Not sure why, but none of the launch commands work upon opening Terminal.

I don't know for sure as I'm not a Mac user, but the built files should still be there even if the computer shut down (as long as it didn't shut down while building).

• 3 weeks later...

sorry in advance for being off topic.

I've been reading about this game for a while now and I was wondering if anyone had come up with a more specific "dummies guide" to building, compiling and running 0 ad on mac os x.

I've tried a few different times but I just don't know enough about coding and the required programs to get any worthwhile results

I have x11, xcode, macports, and xz utils but not the knowledge to compile and run all of these programs. And unfortunately I don't know enough jargon to get results using the posted directions from http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Unix.

I know of a few other people who are interested in this game that I would like to help as well after I learn how to do it.

I have some modding experience and general knowledge but not enough. I'm willing to be the test dummy if anyone has built and compiled the game already would like to help me write one.

emails are appreciated, thanks!

Another OS X user here (y)

After checking out the current trunk and compiling 0AD, with some warnings, too many to list here :P, I get a compiled project but the current files don't allow me to run the game.

I followed the instructions on the wiki but the two files that are supposed to be used are no correct OS X files, both test.app and pyrogenesis.app are empty directories.

Any suggestion on where to look for the culprit?

Regards,

Knitter