movement of mouse pointer is delayed

JerryStory

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the main menu (which is fairly simple graphics-wise) is rendered quickly enough and limited by vsync. However, the in-game performance is far too low, as expected. That explains mouse lag, since on Linux we render the cursor via OpenGL (not via hardware mouse cursor).

What you need to do is get proper hardware accelerated drivers (maybe the proprietary ones).

Is the mouse movement slow in the menu, or just in the game?

Do you get better performance if you disable shadows and/or fancy water (via the menu button in the top-right of the game screen, then 'options', I think)? I think the game ought to work with the free drivers, and they should be doing hardware acceleration, but we might be hitting a few features they don't implement properly.

I had a similar issue when I first found 0 A.D. and compiled from source.

The menu was slow (mouse movement took seconds to update), and disabling water and shadows had no effect, turning off full screen didn't change it, enabling/disabling S3TC had no effect either. And updating to the latest drivers that Ubuntu had for my graphics card caused screen flickers, and didn't solve the slow mouse issue.

(I resolved it by buying a new computer with Windows 7, the issue on my other computer was never resolved :-()

I've tried to disable the shadow options and although the mouse pointer delays in-game compared to the main menu, it works faster than before. If I disable all shadow options I get about 13-15 FPS. But if I only disable the water shadow option I get about 11-13 FPS. And the water shadow option is the problem that's causing the mouse pointer delay, I can confirm that.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem also. I know I may sound really stupid (I know very little about game development) but is there not some way to separate the movement of the mouse from the other game graphics? I've played many games where lag effects the mouse (and which positively irks me) and other games which maybe lag a bit but keep mouse movement smooth (which is a very nice feature). I feel like as a gamer, one of the most important aspects is to keep the mouse fluid because the player directly controls it and having it lag or lock up can be extremely annoying. Anyway that's my 10 cents (or is it 2?), sorry to be so annoying.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue. In menu mouse is ok, but in game mouse is not moving slow, it's teleporting to random place - I have 1-5 fps, when mouse is unmoved it's around 20 fps.

It's defnitely not normal, it's must be fixed.

I have Athlon 64 3000+ and GF 6600GT on latest nvidia driver - isn't powerful hardware, but i can play AOE 3 in full details on 1024x768 and it's still above 30 fps. Difference about these games performance is really, really huge.

Actual 0 A.D performance is horrible. Please understand, not all have Core i7 and GTX 560, don't call it normal. It definitely needs improvement.

Please understand, not all have Core i7 and GTX 560, don't call it normal. It definitely needs improvement.

I believe I can speak on behalf of the programmers in saying that performance is definitely a priority. But understand that most of us (to my knowledge) aren't using extraordinary hardware either.The game runs fairly well on my laptop as well with full graphics settings, even at extreme zooms that would cripple my system in some of the Age of * titles.

In the interim, consider turning off fancy water and shadows. Those are some of the more taxing features and turning them off until the game is improved a bit might put you at ease.

the game ran fine on my old athlonXP system with the built-in graphics and maybe a bit better on my new athlon2 X2 220 also with built in graphics, I'm thinking your problem might be something else. have you done a registry cleanup recently? Do you have alot of programs running in the background? Do you have all those shiny windows 7 graphics thingys turned on? Turn those off an you get a system that runs at about the same pace as XP.

Edit: sry i just now noticed that the OP was talking about Linux .....then I'd assume driver issues cuz thats common although they do seem to be bloating up ubuntu with each new distro too. No clue how to tone down Ubuntu's graphics since i run puppy when i play with linux usually and you'd be hard pressed to find graphical bloat on puppy.

Edited by chaosislife