Problem opening model in blender

Hello,

I'm having trouble opening one of the existing models in Blender. I'm interested in playing around with it for a little before trying to make something completely new and sending it in. Any chance anyone can give some hints?

This is the error I get when opening one of the .dae files:

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.																					   
Checking for installed Python... got it!
In BPY_call_importloader(name=/home/sekret/0.AD/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/hele_tric.dae)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/cstartup.py", line 639, in ButtonEvent
transl = translator.Translator(doImport,__version__,debug,fileName, useTriangles, usePolygons, bakeMatrices, exportSelection, newScene, clearScene, lookAt, usePhysics, exportCurrentScene, exportRelativePaths, useUV, sampleAnimation, onlyMainScene)
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/translator.py", line 80, in __init__
self.__Import(fileName)
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/translator.py", line 87, in __Import
documentTranslator.Import(fileName)
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/translator.py", line 267, in Import
self.colladaDocument.LoadDocumentFromFile(fileName)
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/collada.py", line 89, in LoadDocumentFromFile
self.asset.LoadFromXml(self,xmlUtils.FindElementByTagName(colladaNode,DaeSyntax.ASSET))
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/collada.py", line 305, in LoadFromXml
self.keywords = xmlUtils.GetStringArrayFromNodes(xmlNode.getElementsByTagName(DaeSyntax.KEYWORDS))
File "/home/sekret/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/colladaImEx/xmlUtils.py", line 119, in GetStringArrayFromNodes
stringvals = ReadContents(xmlNode).split( )
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

fyi:

blender -v
Blender 2.48 (sub 1) Build

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks!

If you have some knowledge of Python or are feeling adventurous, you might try wrapping the ReadContents call (xmlUtils.py:119) in a try/except block and printing xmlNode. With a little luck (I'm not familiar with the Blender code and can't have a look ATM), that will display which XML node is apparently missing (or failing to be read), and maybe we can just add that to our .dae file.

Guest olelukoie

Timas, it's strange that you can not import dae file into blender. I've just tested the same file (0.AD/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/hele_tric.dae) with the same blender version and it imported OK. I have attached my screenshot (Mandriva Linux x86_64 Cooker).

PS. There is the choice between COLLADA versions (1.3.x or 1.4) when importing file and I've chosen version 1.4 (see screenshot 2).

post-5879-1250873352_thumb.jpgpost-5879-1250873552_thumb.jpg

Edited by olelukoie

Olelukole, I'm just going on a whim here.. did you install any specifics maybe? A Python lib? And which version of Python do you have?

I have been using the 1.4 version of the Collada import.. I'm glad to see it worked though, that's good news in regards to getting it working on my end as well ;)

Guest olelukoie

Olelukole, I'm just going on a whim here.. did you install any specifics maybe? A Python lib? And which version of Python do you have?

I have been using the 1.4 version of the Collada import.. I'm glad to see it worked though, that's good news in regards to getting it working on my end as well :P

I haven't installed anything special ;) . All the progs and libs are packages from Mandriva Cooker repository (development branch that will eventually be mandriva 2010.0). Here are some package versions I have installed:

blender-2.48a-8mdv2009.1.x86_64.rpm

python-2.6.2-4mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm

python-imaging-1.1.6-7mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm

yafray-0.0.9-5mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm

And a lot of different libs that blender depends on, including xorg 1.6.3 and gcc 4.4.1 libs. Here is the full list:

$ rpm -q --requires blender
python-imaging >= 1.1.4
yafray
libtiff
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
bash
libGL.so.1()(64bit)
libGLU.so.1()(64bit)
libHalf.so.6()(64bit)
libIex.so.6()(64bit)
libIlmImf.so.6()(64bit)
libImath.so.6()(64bit)
libSDL-1.2.so.0()(64bit)
libX11.so.6()(64bit)
libXi.so.6()(64bit)
libalut.so.0()(64bit)
libc.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.2)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.7)(64bit)
libdl.so.2()(64bit)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libfreetype.so.6()(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1()(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)(64bit)
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3.1)(64bit)
libgettextlib-0.17.so()(64bit)
libgomp.so.1()(64bit)
libjpeg.so.62()(64bit)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libopenal.so.0()(64bit)
libpng12.so.0()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libpython2.6.so.1.0()(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6()(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9)(64bit)
libutil.so.1()(64bit)
libz.so.1()(64bit)
rtld(GNU_HASH)
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1

Took some mucking about, but I got it working

I downloaded the 2.49a (Ubuntu deb) version of blender and it was insistent on having python 2.5, I gave in, installed 2.5 and voila, working import!

Now to see if I can do anything with this ;)

----

edit: It's not as sunny as I hoped it was :P

celt_char_a.dae works, but so far the bigger files give the same errors as before

Edited by Timas