Subject: Game Crashes After Installation on Windows 11 (Snapdragon Processor)

connor009009

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with 0 A.D. on my Windows 11 system with a Snapdragon processor. I successfully installed the game, but it crashes after 20 minutes of play and does not launch again after the first successful run. The error message I receive is:

Unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x00000410) Location: unknown:0 (?) Call stack: (error while dumping stack: No stack frames found) errno = 2 (Error during IO) OS error = 126 (The specified module could not be found.)

Here are the steps I have taken to troubleshoot the problem so far:

1. Installation Attempts:

• I tried installing the game to C:\Program Files and C:\Users\Username\AppData with the same results.
    • I also created a new folder called C:\Game0AD and installed the game there, but the issue persisted.
    • I attempted installation both as an Administrator and as a normal user, but neither resolved the issue.
    • The game runs once after installation but fails to open again after closing.
  2. Security Software:

• I only have Windows Security enabled, and it did not indicate any interference.
  3. Hidden Files and Folders:

• I checked the installation directories for logs and errors, enabling hidden files and folders as needed.
  4. System Specifications:

• Processor: Snapdragon (QC X - to emulated x64 bit compatibility)
    • The game might be struggling with the CPU's capabilities since it is not explicitly supported.

I have attached the logs (crashlog.txt, crashlog.dmp, and mainlog.html) as suggested. You can find them at these links:

Please let me know if there's any additional information needed, or if there are steps I can follow to further diagnose or resolve this issue.

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,
Conzo

Hey Conzo,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us (And sorry we couldn't fix the issue). Can you also upload the system_info.txt and userreport_hwdetect if they exist? I assume they don't since the detection fails.

We don't currently provide aarch64 builds for Windows but I hope we do someday.

Your mainlog.html seems to indicate it fails to find some files. This could mean there is a zombie 0 A.D. process (pyrogenesis.exe) running in the background

Thanks!

Does the taskmanager show you zombie processes that could explain the game not starting after crashing?

Can you copy the output of the message you get the first time?

I might be able to provide a patched exe that should at least allow you to run the game with no warnings.

As for the game crashing mid game are you playing with heavy settings ? Lots of IA, unlimited pop cap ?

• Like 1

Thank you,

Here is the original error message that appears

Much to our regret we must report the program has encountered an error.

Please let us know at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ and attach the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp files.
You may find paths to these files at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x00000410)

Call stack:

(error while dumping stack: No stack frames found)
errno = 2 (Error during IO)
OS error = 126 (The specified module could not be found.)

I then followed your advice to check zombie processes and this might explain why the second time the game crashes upon open as there is indeed a task that remains running from the last close pyrogenesis.exe pyrogenesis. Once closing this it does indeed open, I want to now run it to see if it crashes after 20 minutes or so like happened the first time or if this is a one off. I wouldnt be too worried if I had to just check task manager before launching each time so long as it doesnt crash. Thanks again

Edited by connor009009
  • Like 2

Glad to hear that our troubleshooting session on IRC was helpful. Here are the logs for anyone who might also find it helpful.

Thanks for posting about this issue on the forum, and thanks to Stan for the advice that has resolved one of the main problems.

Yes, next is long-term testing with the Snapdragon CPU. Things might work better with a 64-bit executable, because then the Snapdragon CPU wouldn't be emulating the instructions. Right now 0ad only has 64-bit executables available for MacOS and Linux. You could install Linux in order to use the 64-bit version of 0ad.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stan` said:

t will still be emulating. Snapdragon is an aarch64 Cpu not an x64 one.

All right, good to know. I was going by this article. Now I see that it's confusing marketing speak.

Since Windows 10, you've been able to run x86 (32-bit) Windows applications via emulation and 64-bit Windows applications natively, allowing you to run existing 32-bit Windows apps without modification.

It seems like an engineer provided information and then a marketer wrote an article based on that information while also removing some key terms like ARM64 instead of x64. The marketer just referred to "64-bit Windows applications" instead of "64-bit ARM applications".

Connor009009, if/when it crashes again, you know what files to send for assistance with troubleshooting.

• Like 1