I've created my first map, I would like some opinions about it

Parsnipimonious

Took a look at it. Good for a first try! Some thoughts, if you don't mind:

• Lighting, Environment, etc: Don't forget to add fog, play with the lighting settings (a lot of the current skirmish maps have good settings), turn on the HDR post-effect and play with the contrast, etc. Right now, without these things the world looks flat. :)
  • Mess around with water colors and sky boxes to make a nice looking ocean.
  • Terrain textures: Add some variation to the grass textures you're using. Since you're using the Aegean terrains, stick with that biome but variate the grass textures a bit. Also, don't forget forest floor textures under the treed areas. Which brings me too:
  • Trees feel too spread out. Remember the course of the game requires the player to place buildings, expand, etc. When you're creating maps, always think about how it will play. So, clump the trees together and create groves and forests that the player has to expand to and exploit. And I personally wouldn't use the Aleppo Pines--they're not as well made as some other tree types. Also, use bushes around the edges of groves and forests. 
  • Have fun with eyecandy. Place a bunch of small stones around mines. Maybe even make cool open pit quarries, etc. 

Keep at it, or apply these things to your next map! Have fun world building! :D 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Parsnipimonious said:

Thanks! I chose the Aleppo Pines only because I thought they were native to the Mediterranean. I don't really like them, either. This is a work in progress. I really want the map to look prettier, so I will use your helpful suggestions.

Did you play the game?

I did not play the map. I'm not on my gaming rig, so I only looked at it in Atlas. :) 

I think the Maritime Pines are a good stand-in for the Aleppos and look nice in Mediterranean setting:

pbZSQa4.png

The hills above the Aegean Sea are often covered in "scrub" bushes as well. Like this:

CYbJjAt.png

The good thing about bushes is that they don't block building construction.

• 2 weeks later...