Faction idea:England

Abadu

Here are my ideas for this faction(Take a look at early levels specially,since they where harder for me):

-Level one-Early saxons

-Fyrd spearman

Link

-Gesitha

Link

-Heortgeneat

Link

Link

-Ríderas

Link

-Warband swordsman

Link

-Liðeremenn

link

-Level two-Latter saxons/Anglo-Danes

-Anglo danish archer

Link

-English heavy cavalry

Link

Link

-Huskarl

Link

-Thegn

Link

Link

-Fyrd

Link

-Saxon swordsman

Link

-Level three-Norman conquest/Early feudal England

-Norman cavalry

Link

Link

-Norman infantry

Link

Link

-Crossbowman

Link

-Spearman

Link

-Knight

Link

-Breton light cavalry

Link

-Welsh longbowman

Link

-Level four-100 years war/war of the roses England

-Dismounted man at arms

Link

-Knight

Link

-Dismounted knight

Link

-Billmen

Link

Link

-Longbowman

Link

-Border reiver

Link

-Man at arms

Link

-Crossbowman

Link

What do you think?

Edited by Abadu

It would be cool to regard each era as appropriate.

For example 1st era was in name of Saxon colonisation. They didn't have extraordinary units. Goodin general, but not extraordinary.

Second era would be that of time of conflict with Vikings. Huscarle fits there well.

Third of Norman conquest and last of 100 years war.

I'd give Thegns to the second period. In first period, I'd give them only basic units. And not Celtic ones.

Also Mercian kingdom dates rather to the second period. But they weren't English and therefore shouldn't be there.

What is the difference between Feudal knight and Norman knight? I think, that they were both the same. Also dismounted knights were in use in last period as it was result of defeats caused by Scottish infantry to the English knights. I'd treat them as Norman infantry, instead.

Border Reiver dates to the following period, IMHO. English used Longbowmen for pretty long time. In last period, they definitely shouldn't be missing. Also Billmen and Heavy Billmen in same period don't look well. Player will tend to select few units and continue using it. Therefore substitutes are redundant for now. Try to avoid them. If Total War style is implemented, then it makes some sense, but in AoK gameplay style it is waste of time as such units will be rarely used.

Also I'm not sure if English used Handguns in last period. I think, that French supremacy in gunpowder was reason of English loss of 100 years war.

Ok,Enlgand is not my speciallity,but i will update them,just some toughts:

-The knigdom of Mercia WAS on England

-There where border reivers from late 13th century to 16th century

-Is there any problem with the welsh archer?

And some toughts about the pictures that I provided:

-Are the first saxon swordsman and fird accurate(Im having some problems in get saxon pictures)?

-Are This pictures ok for the second saxon level?

I will update it soon

EDIT:Do you think that the portuguese fation has too many units?

Edited by Abadu

Ok,Enlgand is not my speciallity,but i will update them,just some toughts:

Well, then try to do factions you know. Your research of Italians impressed me, for example. I'd like to be as accurate as gameplay and 0AD allows.

-The knigdom of Mercia WAS on England

England is land of angles (Jutes and Saxons). Mercians fought against them and therefore it would look weird ta have them in English faction.

-There were border reivers from late 13th century to 16th century

Really? I didn't know. Then let them be there.

-Is there any problem with the welsh archer?

Perhaps same as with Mercians. I think, that Welsh only rarely fought alongside Saxons.

And some toughts about the pictures that I provided:

-Are the first saxon swordsman and fird accurate(Im having some problems in get saxon pictures)?

It looks fine.

-Are This pictures ok for the second saxon level?

It looks OK, too.

EDIT:Do you think that the Portuguese faction has too many units?

I don't know. Try to not to make too many units with equal stats and purposes. Those would be redundant.

Edited by Belisarivs

ok,i will make another civ,but i will update my england ideas a bit(Them i think i will make Italy or Spain,i did france,and it was much more easy them ENglnad to me,latter take a look at them)

Do I need to give the same number of units to all the factions?

And have you seen the 0 AD video?Impressive,isnt it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how much accurate that horse archer is.

I think, that they dismounted before battle. So they didn't fight on horseback.

I also see no difference between knight and Lancer. I think, hat all knights used lances for maximal effect of charge and when lances broke, they used swords. That is all.

But I must say, that I really like first period.

For the horse archer,I tough they were mounted infantry,pehraps we can make them in the mod like this

As for the knights,pehraps we could make the 100 years war ones have an upgrade to turn them into war of the roses knights

Do you have any sugestion for late period units?If the mod includes the begining of the XVI century,i could add arquebusiers

If you have any sugestion for units,please say them

For the horse archer,I tough they were mounted infantry,pehraps we can make them in the mod like this.

We will se if it will be possible. Then rename the to Mounted archers. Horse archer implies that he is fighting on horseback.

As for the knights,pehraps we could make the 100 years war ones have an upgrade to turn them into war of the roses knights

During 100 years war English knights also evolved. I think, that development style like it is now is OK.

Do you have any sugestion for late period units?If the mod includes the begining of the XVI century,i could add arquebusiers

EE. Mod ends in 1492. 16. century belongs to timeframe of Colonial AD mod.

If you have any sugestion for units,please say them

Perhaps we could include Gallowglass/Gallowglaigh. Celtic man with two-handed sword.