Increasing the richness of resources

Bikensoul

Hello,

me and my friends love this game so far, but we have on small request. We would like to adjust the richness of a resource node, so you don't have to switch camp so often (kind of like Empire Earth). Is this somehow possible? Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find it anywhere in the forum,

Might be sufficient to add a factor like 2 * to this.amount = this.GetMaxAmount(); in ResourceSupply.js. But other places in the code (especially the AI) will still check for the template files where the resources are defined and not use the javascript to act.

The better approach is to learn the game and find ways to beat the enemy with the existing resources ;) If there is lots of wood but only few metal, make one ram and many citizen soldiers to protect it, retreat if you can't win the fight (the most important thing is to outnumber the enemy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0goQrvf-tU) so that you lose almost no units. Also killing the enemy eco is often easily achieved as women have only 25HP.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer! It is strictly for multiplayer against my friends (we meet once a week for rts games) so the ai shouldn't be a problem. And since everybody gets the richer resources its more about capturing and defending notes, than quickly depleting them and moving on. Does your fix work for multiplayer too (when I'm hosting the game)?

27 minutes ago, elexis said:

The better approach is to learn the game and find ways to beat the enemy with the existing resources ;) If there is lots of wood but only few metal, make one ram and many citizen soldiers to protect it, retreat if you can't win the fight (the most important thing is to outnumber the enemy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0goQrvf-tU)[)] so that you lose almost no units.

Wasn't that what mongols also thought when they sent their 800 000 troops to fight 200 000 ...  and lost with  t he enemy only having few losses? :)

The simulation state must be equal across all participants, so yes the mods are necessary to be equal too and then it should work, as mods do not add magic other than what the 0ad pack already adds.

Edited by Radagast.

• All clients need the same version, same mods, same custom changes.
  • How about playing more resource-rich maps (the one from a20 (Alpha20#Maps) and a21 (new maps filter in the gamesetup, Alpha21#NewMaps))?
  • How about starting with higher resources?
  • If you have an ally, start trading. The profit (divided by the time cost) increases linearily with the distance. If the trade cart carries more than 40 +/- resources per trip, it will have faster (and unlimited) income than a unit gathering from a metal mine.
  • (If you still want this weird hack, the change would have to be in GetMaxAmount, not Init of that file)

Thanks again for replying. It's not so much about having "more" resources, its about not having to change resource locations and having to fight over the limited amount of nodes. So not the player with the most citizens wins ecological, but the one who conquers and defends the most quarrys and without having to move around.

The trading part wouldn't work in our scenario, as we play 1v1v1.

If you have the time, could you maybe give me a step by step info on how to change the appropiate files, as I'm very new to this game. Thanks in advance!

• If you and your enemies create a new subdirectory in the Documents and Settings/0ad/mods/ path (see also GameDataPaths, Modding_Guide) and put the attached zip in it, then enable it in the mod selection in the menu, you will be able to play with 2x resources for every metal/stone mine. You can also unzip the file and edit the numbers (Amount) (since you asked friendly and showed interest which is the only ResourceSupply I care about after all). Remember all players need the same version/mods/changes (otherwise you will see an "Out Of Sync" error).
  • Also noone said self-trade isn't possible. It is very slow initially due to the short distance, but incentivizes to extend the territory while requiring you to not overextend and become vulnerable. Notice also that killing enemies (including trade carts) will transfer the resource they carry to you. I.e. if you kill one trade cart that transports 100-200 metal, that is very much worth it (use cavalry with high armor that is walkspeed upgraded at the corrals).

0ad-double-resources.zip

• Like 2

To me what it sounds like you are looking for is when you build a Market, on the left there is one technology in Town Phase (to view ally resources) and the second one in City Phase (is to use "shared dropsites"), when you open up shared dropsites you can basically go to any resource and return it to a dropsite that is much closer than your own camp (your allies camp for example).  So Player A can dig for stone and drop it at Player B dropsite w/o returning to their own.  Depending on the layout of a random map usually determines if I try to attain that sooner than something else.