Menu Screen

StrikerShot21

Will the main menu have little splash screens before it? Like "Visit www.wildfiregames.com/0ad" then it will go into the main menu. If so, can we edit them? I wouldn't want to make a mod out of it and still have splash screens advertising you. Forgive me if that sounds selfish. If you have ever played Glest (a free RTS) you will know what I'm talking about.

Its a possibility - final details like that won't be worked out until we've nearly released the game. If theres splash screens its probably that you can in a .cfg file somewhere specify which screens to load - so you could mod it that way, or you could directly go and just replace the splash images with something else. For now nothing like that is finalized since we have much bigger things to be worrying about - we'll see how anoying splash screens are before deciding to keep them or not :)

As Bobby said, splash screens are too low-priority for us to have a definite answer right now (it's also dependent upon available free libraries for decoding movie files). More than likely we'll just incorporate our self-glorification into the main menu and credits. :)

Likely what'll happen (if it happens) is that movies will be called from a JS function when the GUI initialises. Since those scripts are modifiable, one could theoretically point to a different splash, add more function calls, or omit it entirely. But none of that's implemented yet.

On a personal note, if we do have splash screens, I'd probably add a toggle flag to the config menu to disable them. And because they're annoying and people might skip 'em, they probably aren't worth doing in the first place. :P

I was originally going to create my game using the Glest engine but they have an about screen in the main menu thats has ONLY their names. So I decided not to use it because if people played MY mod, the devs names would get all the credit and my name would never be mentioned. Maybe you could credit yourselves like have a splash screen saying "Made with 0 AD" because I just think it's wrong to permanently have your names in the credits even though it was the modders who did most of the work (game wise, not engine) So if you want to credit yourselves, please put your names in the credits under "Original Engine" Then have a spot for credits for the Mod.

PS: Sorry for rambling :)

I don't think we'd be able to stop modders from changing all the screens and text, without us going to a lot of trouble. To alter textures, you just create a mod containing a file with the same name as the original; and for words, even if they're hard-coded into the game, you could just override the localisation system's data files so it 'translates' into completely different words or names. And if all else fails, make the font invisible :)