Japanese Help

Hey guys, I know there is a few of here that might be able to read this. I hope.

This was taken from some pictures/slides that my grandfather took from World War II. They were with about 10 or so images of bombed out buildings. Some of the charecters are missing too.

japanese.jpg

I'm not sure what they are. Sorry about the quality, thats the best I could scan them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky to have remembered that old Japanese is written from right to left when horizontally written. FIEW. The second picture isn't clear enough, but it seems that those pictures were taken in the same place called "Tenian". On the first picture, it is written "Tenian-tyou syoubouso" wich means "firefighting meeting place of the town of Tenian". I could read on the second that it was in the same place (Tenian is written) but, not what's left.

Found this:

Tinian was recaptured by the United States in July 1944 in the battle of Tinian. The island was transformed into the busiest airfield of the war, with six 8,000 foot (2400 m) runways. It was from Tinian that the bombers carrying the atomic bombs Little Boy and Fat Man were launched against Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The airfields now lie overgrown and abandoned

I think that must be what it is. Thanks again for the help identifying the picture!