programing help

TrashA

I saw this in the months accomplishments:

"Built multiplayer connection / IP hosting screen and message box."

Im making a game also, but my programming skill is kinda limited. Can you show me this one particular script? if not, can the dude who did this walk me thoughyt the basics of connecting the game useing IP?

That's a pretty large question ;-) It can't really be answered up front without knowing exactly how your game's code looks like and everything that, but I could give you a few pointers nonetheless:

Here's the forum FAQ for gamedev's network and multiplayer forums - contains some good links, might be a good place to get started:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/sh...asp?forum_id=15

Another forum I've found greatly useful is the UNIX Socket FAQ - although it is a bit more advanced and is probably not very useful until you've actually made your first network code and tried out some different network stuff: (btw, even if it says UNIX, most of the info is also applicable to windows networking which is actually based on UNIX code [sometime in a past decade])

http://www.developerweb.net/forum/

Good luck! And I assure you: Networking is the most fun part of programming! (Some of them just haven't noticed yet :P)

I saw this in the months accomplishments:

"Built multiplayer connection / IP hosting screen and message box."

Hmm, I guess that one derives from an accomplishment line I wrote in the internal month summary. I didn't write the hard part of it - i.e. the actual network code -, though, I only provided a graphical interface to Simon's networking system :P