Contributing to 3D

artoo

@artoo about the error: yes, that's something that I messed up with a prop point, I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
about the textures: yes, in this case the ambient occlusion texture (the black and white one) needs to be rebaked for each model. Currently they're using the AO maps of the previous models. That's why the shading looks weird.

• Like 1

I'd have a small request.

Since the bixies on CC and Ministry have been deemd inaccurate historicly, would it be possible to make the two props just like a prop with two prop points? Eg a tree could be attached instead of the bixies? Atm, it is a prop with mesh of the bixie for each building.

Would be cool if either the bixie was replaced by something accurate, or freely selectable with a prop point instead of bixie.

I think it looks bad to just remove the bixies and leave empty spots, it makes the entrance so much less inviting.

bixieCC.png

CC.png

bixieM.png

M.png

Edited by artoo
  • Like 1

Sadly using prop points has a performance impact so it's discouraged to do it when you don't need them to adjust to the terrain. Someone posted some progress in making an accurate bixie. I'm really busy these days so I didn't have time to follow up. It's in the pipe though.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Sadly using prop points has a performance impact so it's discouraged to do it when you don't need them to adjust to the terrain. Someone posted some progress in making an accurate bixie. I'm really busy these days so I didn't have time to follow up. It's in the pipe though.

we need support and help in the 3d sector. it will be difficult to keep growing without help from someone experienced in gaming 3d art.

I want to continue designing but just, my doubts with the sizes of the pngs and the props that a model should have.

15 hours ago, Stan` said:

No problem, maybe someone else takes on the task if time allows.

Its not big important one in my view, but removing the bixies makes these buildings look a bit like the Xiongnu plundered it. :)

There are a whole list of small issues with the buildings, as Chinese commenter pointed out, eg the little signs on the doors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 4:53 AM, artoo said:

Since the bixies on CC and Ministry have been deemd inaccurate historicly, would it be possible to make the two props just like a prop with two prop points? Eg a tree could be attached instead of the bixies? Atm, it is a prop with mesh of the bixie for each building.

Would be cool if either the bixie was replaced by something accurate, or freely selectable with a prop point instead of bixie.

I think it looks bad to just remove the bixies and leave empty spots, it makes the entrance so much less inviting.

could replace with "阙que"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_(tower)

Stone structure (pillar or tower) build in pairs outside the gate of city or building to express rank and prestige... 

unnamed.jpg.bac9149c0c3a1e6547cd7c2c1b20d0bf.jpg

b_403716_20181115112107988433032.jpg.0207ad722e029914ca051dde89c26076.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ymming said:

Stone structure (pillar or tower) build in pairs outside the gate of city or building to express rank and prestige... 

That's a nice idea, I wouldn't mind.

Seeing these cool towers, atm, I have the roman siege wall models for the palisades.

I was thinking there could be a smaller sized wall, where some of these towers could be reused?

http://www.chaz.org/Arch/China/City/Changan_through_time_large.png

wzs-11.gif

Edited by artoo

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I don't think it's gonna be a good idea as it will extend the footprint and might confuse players into thinking they are actually defense towers.

Why would footprint change? Its roman siege wall footprint.

The dubbed rammed earth wall would need wall towers and a small gate plus wall segments, its just swapping dae and then decide if they should/have turret slots?

• 4 weeks later...