Galazia Thalassa - Testing

This is my second map and I would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions you provide ! I hope you like it!

Description :

Each player starts on a small island in which there are few resources.
There is a huge amount of fish in the sea and there is a couple of whales as well at the center of the map.
There is also a bigger island on the map , where an old Athenian city was built and now Romans have made camp there so players should be cautious before going there.On that island there are plenty of resources , so taking control of it may be vital for the victory.

Opposite of this bigger island , there are 3 tiny islands with some metal and stone resources on them.There are many sharks lurking in those waters and there are some shipwrecks as well.

post-16606-0-61453800-1406917328_thumb.j

Galazia Thalassa.zip

Edited by pkyrkos7
  • Like 3

As far as I could see from the settings the limit was 500KB rather than 31.21, but either way I've increased it to 1MB for the basic member group now. (Once you've made five posts you're moved up to the "Community Members" user group which gives you more permissions including access to the personal messages function - and you can also upload larger files. We've been forced to limit things a bit for new users to limit spam, hopefully it's only a minor trouble for most users :) )

• Like 1

Purely Aesthetically speaking, I feel it lacks a certain kind of visual variety.

You use only one type of trees, one texture for the beach, one texture for the cliffs, one texture for the rocks, etc. Try to find compatible textures / trees and combine them in a realistic, good-looking way.

Could it be that you have barely building space?

Also see if you can adjust the environmental settings to create a better look.

This post might come in handy:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801&p=293531

I understand what you mean.The reason I am using only one texture is because I don't think it would look better if I combined different cliff textures for instance.As for the beach , I use 2 textures a wet for near the shore and another one with dry sand.

As for the trees and props , I didn't want to use any other trees since these were the only ones which were darker than the rest and not too colorful.I placed some fallen leaves on under the trees but the 2 player islands are meant to be simple ones.

However , the island where the old city is(the bigger islands ) has plenty of details and props.About the building space I am not sure what do you mean.If you mean that there's a little space for building , that's the point ;)

In general I had in my mind a simple map.I will make another map as well , that will feature a tropical climate again but with bigger islands.

Now as far as it concerns the environmental settings , I tried various settings but I considered these the best.I couldn't however managed to get the post processing and the other special effects to work. :/

Anyway , thanks for the suggestions ! :)

Edited by pkyrkos7

Although one type of texture doesn't necessarily look bad, multiple types (if applied correctly) create a far more interesting look.

Compare this one with one type of cliff texture to the second with multiple textures:

Lq3zzV0.jpg
vwqYKZI.jpg

Check the Sporades Islands Skirmish map for a few good samples of texture usage:

avGVyrH.jpg

For the Post processing settings not working, it is likely that you need to enable them in a config file first:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\0ad\config\user.cfg

Set the following options to true:

gentangents = "true"particles = "true"postproc = "true"preferglsl = "true"showsky = "true"
  • Like 1

Okay I managed to get the post processing settings running and the map looks much much better thanks!

As for the textures , I undestand what you mean ,but I felt that the Galazia Thalassa map didn't require a mix of textures.Here are some images of a map I am currently making , using different settings and a mix of textures and props.

post-16606-0-24332200-1407168024_thumb.j

post-16606-0-77941900-1407168050_thumb.j

post-16606-0-79957700-1407168069_thumb.j

post-16606-0-18192400-1407168076_thumb.j

post-16606-0-77408100-1407168079_thumb.j

• Like 4