Help for a new player

lucient

Hey guys, so I just installed the game yesterday and played 2 bot matches each about a hour long as the Spartans but came across several problems. Usually games such as age of empires and rise of nations have their own guides to a certain civilization but I can't find a viable guide for Spartans or what not, so is it possible some of you drop me a guide or two for the best way to play Spartans and Romans. Thanks.

Edited by lucient

We have no guides because it changes too fast.

Basically, first get the available food (put your females on the berries, your cavalry on the chicken/sheep, and your infantry on the wood). Spawn females and soldiers. Build houses to get up your pop cap, build farms when the natural food is nearly depleted, and build barracks for even faster unit production and a real boom.

As for attacking, try to micro your units around well enough. Ranged units are normally quite vulnerable when caught by melee units, so watch out for them. But just read the tooltips to see who counters who.

For a very basic build order that works* for every civ, I have this:

Start:

4 vills > build a farmstead near berries, get basket upgrade

4 infantry > chop wood

Cav > gather chickens

Queue 5 villagers, rally CC to wood.

As soon as you have 150 wood, make a house.

As soon as you have 100 wood, make a storehouse near closest forest.

When the cav runs out of chickens, scout the map for hunts (gazelles, deer, ox, camels, etc) and then gather food from those hunts.

Continue training 5 villagers, all rallied to wood.

As soon as you have the wood, make second house.

As soon as you have the wood, make your third house.

With this set up, you should be approaching 800 food / 800 wood which should allow you to age. You only need 4 villagers on berries and 1 cav hunting to get the necessary food. Every villager you train from the CC goes straight to wood.

Generally speaking:

When you age, you can throw up a barracks with all 4 infantry units you have and you'll age before the barracks is finished.

While you age up, get the wheelbarrow upgrade.

While you age up, build 3 farms with 5 villagers on each farm.

As soon as you age, get the farm upgrade at the farmstead. Farming is really slow so you really need this upgrade.

Allocate your remaining villagers between wood, stone and metal, keep at least some on wood so that you can build houses.

Otherwise there aren't really strategies yet, unless we're talking about skirmcav rush (check my youtube for build order if you want to see it, it's not worth a post), or Roman swordsman rush (idk how that works), but those are very basic builds anyway. It's mostly age, build stuff, train units and see what happens.

*this doesn't work a skirmcav rush; lul. only thing you can do vs a skirmcav rush is a better skirmcav rush.

• Like 1