Font size configuration

Hi, all. Are there any methods I can use to modify the font sizes for various text around the game? Config files?

It all looks very good on a 1280x1024 monitor but on my 1920x1080 laptop, each pixel is pretty small and some of the serif fonts are getting very hard to read (for my eyes, anyway). I realize that the buttons do not scale with different screen sizes and resolutions but the text on those is often quite short and easy to read anyway.

My main problem are the longer texts in the introduction, in tooltips and historical reference texts.

BTW: I'm really thrilled with participating the translation effort and I enjoy translating and researching the vast amounts of historical knowledge, learning something new every time. :)

Font sizes are pretty hard-coded. You can change a font file, so texts will look bigger, but this will change all texts that use those fonts (including the buttons), so it will lead to texts being too big.

Maybe we can introduce new tags (like [h1], [h2], [emph], ...) that will be replaced with user-configurable fonts. Not sure how good this will work.

In your case, you could also edit the resolution of the game in the config file. Normally it should be stretched when playing in fullscreen. So your fonts will appear bigger.

• Like 1

I'll try edting the game resolution and see what happens. It does not seem to stretch in fullscreen but I'll try again tonight.

There are some 20-30 cases of strings like: 0 A.D. in-game manual in the translation strings where it seems like the string prefix does dictate the font size in pixels or points. I'll try out appending the font-prefix to modify the other strings for fun and see what happens.

Maybe we can introduce new tags (like [h1], [h2], [emph], ...) that will be replaced with user-configurable fonts. Not sure how good this will work.

Honestly, it would be nice if the fonts included some metadata about size and style, then they could be linked to other variations. That would make dynamically increasing or decreasing font size (which is pretty essential in games, or UIs generally) easier and much better quality. It's a wish for the font system, one of many :)
  • Like 1

I think it's a good idea, not only for your resolution problem but also for accessibility purpose. It can be useful for somebody who have a problem with his vision. Do we can simply add another bigger font, and, in the settings of the game, we will be able to choose which font to load? One with a normal size and one with a big size. If it's not hard to do, it can be interesting to add that..