0 A.d. Borders And Boundries?

Wijitmaker

hey guys, you know what... I think It would be better with less bonus and borders..... I didnt really like that RoN borders and bonus... It's my opinion but I think there shouln'd be supply wagon neither...let's just keep the game with easy settings without making it to complicated...but anyway this game will rock !!!

guys continu the good work!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yes you are right but we should have the choice of the settings at the beggining of the game"

heh, its funny how no-one here has ever thought about having an option to turn borders on or off:) actually that would be a very very good idea :) !! it will allow "rush lovers" to play the game stle they love, and it would also allow the "rush haters" to play the game not worrying about forward building and early rushes :) (this was so obvious its funny!)

No, you were not silly to have thought of it, Ulysses. Malte was right, and my post was really only to assure you that had been taken into consideration... and as a matter factually that the design for 0ad has been being addressed for more that a year and a half now. Acumen, somewhere, has posted the reasons why it has not been made 'public'... but yes, as I read through various threads here I mostly see 'ideas' that have already been considered and either adopted, some long ago because a great many people were involved in the very early days of formulating the ideas for the game, or considered and rejected, or sometimes even 'hitch-hiked off of and applied to the design in a 'modified' manner. However, the value of running, or continuing such threads, is that even yet somebody may come up with a tidbit that would be entirely useful to apply to the game's design that we had all 'overlooked' or not thought of, so please do 'continue to march'. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

has anyone here played Cossacks? In it there was a thing called "peace-time", where you couldnt fight. i think this should be added, because if people don't want rushing, they can have 30 min of Pt or whatever. Or if they do want rushing, they can turn it off.

nate

• 3 weeks later...

Safety Zones: How will you prevent people from dragging out the game forever by hiding here if these are available? It sounds like it could create problems. This would be better as a power/ability thing (more in TLA though), like Cheasefire in AoM.

Rushing: IMO there's nothing wrong with rushing if you provide sufficient ways to counter it (i.e. people shouldn't be forced to spam and rush with one unit type in order to win, but early raids with balanced forces should be viable). The way I think about it is this. Say that the game is set up so that nobody ever attacks anybody else for X minutes, either because of rules forced upon them or because it's much more worthwhile to spend that time developing and advancing "ages". Then all players will be trying to basically gather as many resources and expand as much as possible during those X minutes. Now on every map, there is one and only one best way to do this, depending on the resources. So all the players will try to learn to execute that "build order", and the first X minutes of the game will just be about running through a memorized sequence of steps. That is really boring. The real interesting aspect of playing the game comes when people interact with each other, becuase that's when strategy and adaptability instead of memorized steps come into effect. So you should enable people to interact with each other as early as possible. There can still be expanding an empire-building - both RoN and AoM are about setting up or taking over "settlements" at different places on the map, which really gives a feel of empire-building - but there should be conflicts possible as early as you want.