Graphics Programmer - Matt

Position: Graphics Programmer

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name:
Matt M

Email:
nerdfencer (at) gmail (dot) com

MSN Messenger:
nerdfencer (at) gmail (dot) com

So far as I recall, MSN Messenger has been deprecated and it's contacts moved to Skype. This is the email under which my Skype account is registered.

NY, USA. As of July, it will change to WA, USA

Availability:
5hrs, maybe more if it gets particularly interesting.

There will be about a 1 week period when I start work before I can get approval from the legal dept to continue development. I will not be able to submit changes during this time. Email/PM me for details. My contract forbids me to post much more publicly, but I can give details privately.

Student Games/CSCI dual major. Employee in a major software company starting in July.

Skills and Experience:
What qualifies you for this position? What experience have you had in the past?

Games/CSCI student. Published in multiple Journals for some of my CSCI work. Have done research in the areas of non-photorealistic rendering, real-time rendering of Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces (with my method currently beating out Pixar by about a constant factor of 5), fluid simulation, and (less recently) approximation methods for game math. Experience with OpenGL 4.4, 3.3, 2.0 (In order of familiarity). Specialties include parallel computation (SIMD, GPU, MT, Cloud, Supercomputer), and low-level optimizations (optimizing for out of order execution, keeping execution units saturated, etc).

Motivation:
Fun and curiosity.

Personality:
Curious, helpful, and skeptical.

Short Essay:
How and when did you find out about Wildfire Games? What motivates you to be a part of the project? What do you seek to gain in being a part of Wildfire Games?

I discovered 0 A.D. years ago when looking for something free with which to replace Age of Empires. My new job will not include some skills that I would rather keep fresh. This will be a good excuse to keep them fresh in mind.

Interests and Hobbies:
Tell us briefly about some of the other things you enjoy doing your free time. We ask this to get to know your background a bit better

Right now, time is mostly occupied by school and wedding planning. I've traditionally worked on open source projects for some fun on the side, but I haven't for the past couple months. Other hobbies include checking things off of my (rather extensive) bucket list, hiking, and rock climbing.

Staff:
(Optional) Do you know, or know of anyone on the team?

No.

Favorite Game:
What's your favorite game at the moment? What about your overall favorite?

Mount and Blade: Warband (Floris Expanded Mod Pack)

Age of Mythology

Edited by IronNerd

Hi, nice to see someone applying to program on the graphics side.

As a programmer, it's not really needed to apply for a position. You can just start working on something you like (either something you want to improve for yourself, or an existing ticket). Then you can submit it for review, when it's good (coding style, performance, added features ...), it gets added to the game. Then after some time working like this, programmers are invited to become part of the team (basically, that's just getting commit access).

When you want to discuss something with us (ask help, ask for a review, ...) or if you just want to chat, you can join the #0ad-dev IRC channel on QuakeNet. We're mostly active during American day and evening.

Some links that can help:

Guide to submit patches: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/SubmittingPatches (don't hesitate to contact us personally on IRC too)

Beginners tickets (those don't require a deep knowledge of the 0 A.D. source code): http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/16

All open tickets: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/1

General documentation, getting started stuff: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki

Thank you again for wanting to help out.