Contributing to 0ad as a project.

sathyam

Hello developers! I'm Sathyam, a final year student from PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India. We have a course on Open Source Technologies this year (as an elective) and we ought to contribute to an open source community as a major part of this course.

I've been wanting to join the 0ad dev group for quite a long time but couldn't due to lack of time. I was thinking of grabbing this opportunity to contribute to 0ad.

I'm Boost C++ contributor/developer and good with JavaScript too. My professor is a major in networking and he is offering help personally to help with contributing to web servers like apache, nginx and boa. I talked to him about 0ad today and he just asked me to get back to him with something that could help consider what I contribute as a project (for evaluation purposes).

It'd be great is someone could help me with this! The project need not be related to networking (I believe). He just wants to know that what we propose in contributing would be completed by the end of the year and try to have our code accepted by the community and join in for its future.

Its kind of difficult to explain to professors about Games :). So I told him I'd get back with more solid stuff. I would like to know if there is something that could be worked on for a range of 3 months. I have seen the tickets in trac but wanted to hear from the community for any suggestions you could provide so that I could explain to my professor in a much better way!

Thank you

Hi quantumstate, I'm so sorry. I accidentally "reported" (instead of quoting) the reply in a hurry!

I hope the moderators ignore this! Can I revert this?

So I actually was discussing this over irc in #0ad-dev, around 18 hours ago with leper, alpha123, Philip` and Josh|. They suggested that I could try working on NAT Hole Punching for the multiplayer as that would really help. It did seem interesting to me too. As a plus point, since this would fall into the networking domain, my professor could also help me out if I face problems.

Considering there are other projects too for my final year, I can spend 20 to max 25 hours per week.

What do you think?

Hi quantumstate, I'm so sorry. I accidentally "reported" (instead of quoting) the reply in a hurry!

I hope the moderators ignore this! Can I revert this?

quantumstate has moderator rights on his own :D

So I actually was discussing this over irc in #0ad-dev, around 18 hours ago with leper, alpha123, Philip` and Josh|. They suggested that I could try working on NAT Hole Punching for the multiplayer as that would really help. It did seem interesting to me too. As a plus point, since this would fall into the networking domain, my professor could also help me out if I face problems.

Considering there are other projects too for my final year, I can spend 20 to max 25 hours per week.

What do you think?

And the work on NAT would certainly be appreciated. If you can do it, you're welcome.

• Like 1

Hi sanderd17, Thank you!

When I again discussed it with others yesterday (after you), they unanimously suggested that not to work on the pathfinder! :)

Yeah, I read the logs. I also said it's a lot of work, so it might have been really difficult. But it looks like you've got by with my first suggestion (working on the lobby), although I didn't know what the lobby needed in terms of features.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. After talking with wraitii and also considering what we'd like to do, we submitted the scope of our project and it has been accepted. So we're all set to begin contributing to 0 A.D.

Our scope is to improve the AI of the game. We'd initially begin by understanding the codebase of 0 A.D. and fixing few tickets; preferably few among #1323, #1038, #799, #1044, #1833, #1709. We'll then move on to working on the AI of the game fixing issues and enhancing features which it currently lacks; summarized in wraitii's post here. We've also considered working on the AI rewrite (in C++). We'd like to know which could feasible for two beginners. I feel that working on the AI rewrite would be a bit riskier. But if its not, we'd certainly like to work on that too.

So to summarize, we're fixed upon how to start but not sure on what to do next. Either working on enhancing it or working on the rewrite (and if time permits, work on few features as well). Any thoughts?

Great it's accepted sathyam. About the tickets, please claim them by changing ownership.

#1323 looks certainly good. I don't know if #1038 is needed, that could use some discussion I think. #799 is a must for this game, so if you can implement it, thanks a lot. #1044 has just been handled by mimo in a rather good way, although patch reviews are also welcome, you won't be able to code much on this. #1833 and #1709 are related to bigger changes. Ideally, animals should also stay in a certain zone where they were put by the scenario designer.

Working on the AI rewrite would probably be a bit too much of work. Adding new features should be easier (and it also gives insight in what the AI code really needs).

About the tickets, please claim them by changing ownership.

Will do. But do I claim ownership now or after I start working on it? Because I do not have much idea of what to yet.

#1323 looks certainly good. I don't know if #1038 is needed, that could use some discussion I think. #799 is a must for this game, so if you can implement it, thanks a lot.

I've seen #1308 in some games so thought it'd work here too; I did see the comments on the ticket. I personally feel that it should be there, although its not something that is required. #799 will have some challenges involved I guess :).

Working on the AI rewrite would probably be a bit too much of work. Adding new features should be easier (and it also gives insight in what the AI code really needs).

Exactly what I had in my mind. It'd not be good for myself and the community if I jump in to such a task right away. So we'll be working on adding and improving features of the AI. My teammate and I will sit together this weekend and discuss about the same. We'll be starting on reading the source this week but will be involved more from next week onwards.

Very excited to finally join the team!