I want to learn this!

Hi

I'm 15 and I don't konw much about how a computer works. But I want to learn this! You all are very good with computers, I guess. How did you learn this? Thanks for your ansers

Hoemi

PS: Sorry for my bad english. English isn't my mother tongue, but I hope you understand me!

I'm 15 and I don't konw much about how a computer works. But I want to learn this! You all are very good with computers, I guess. How did you learn this? Thanks for your ansers

Do you want to know how a computer works or how to program one? Frankly I can't say I fully know how they work. :P

As for learning to program, I recommend simply diving in headfirst. When I was 12 I took a few programming books (on Perl, of all languages...) out of the library and just started experimenting. I think that's a good way. If I may recommend a language to learn, I'd say Lua. It's very simple and easy to understand, but also quite useful. Play around with LÖVE (although stay off their forums, they're rather hostile :(). LÖVE is a very easy-to-use game engine that makes creating simple games very easy. Start with something very small and simple - pong or something.

PS: Sorry for my bad english. English isn't my mother tongue, but I hope you understand me!

Your English is fine. I understood you just fine. You should probably be aware that English is the language of programming though - the vast majority of programming resources out there are in English.

Hi there, i suck in english too, but you make it at least good haha.

In my experience, learning about computers was a thing of trial and error, a lot of times i broke my computer and had to make it work again, i still remember my old pentium celeron with 512mb of ram and no video card. it was great.

Also, for a programming language you can use Lua, is great, simple and very usefull, also is a good base for other languages.

And Java is a good language because you have a lot, A LOT of tutorials everywhere in the internet to learn about it.

Greets!

PS: What is your mother language?

I disagree. I learned programming with Java, and I still love that language (with the exception of UI and IO handling). The Java virtual machine is rubbish though.

I have exactly the opposite opinion: The JVM is a very impressive piece of software, nearly capable of matching C++ in speed (LuaJIT still gets the award for best VM in my mind though). Java the language... um... this sums up my opinion pretty well.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who used to love Java. I used it a lot as a beginning programmer, but now I wish I'd just discovered Lua or Ruby or Python. Java enforces a narrow way of thinking and overcomplicates things for beginners... and advanced programmers.

My mother tongue is german and i live in switzerland!

leper speaks German as his mother tongue as well, and additionally is a very skilled programmer. He visits the forums fairly frequently.

alkazar hangs out on the IRC channel a lot and also lives in Switzerland and speaks German.

Java's actually a terrible language, especially for new programmers it complicated everything.

I didn't say it was usefull, just easy to learn because you have a lot of tutorials to learn about it. :P

I prefer LUA to be fair, is easy, simple and doesn't get you into headgrabbing-stumping-to-keyboard rutines