New to the project, have questions

Hello, I am a programmer who was looking to get some experience in game programming through an open-source project, and I thought that this project looked like fun. I looked at the Getting Started Guide and looked at the beginner tickets. My main question is, how do I know where to start looking in the code to patch if I am new to the codebase? For instance, Ticket #1591 is a request to fix a specific tooltip. This seems like something I could do, but I don't really know where to find this code. Using the Finding Your Way Around guide, I supposed that I should go to source>gui, but I wouldn't know where to go from there. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to game programming for the most part (except simple 2D games). Any help would be appreciated.

binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/unit_commands.js is the file you are looking for. Most of the gui (what you see, not what elements are used to create that, which would be source/gui) and game logic is in the public mod folder (binaries/data/mods/public). (Some documentation on how that is structured is availabe in the Mod Layout wiki page, which is also linked from the finding your way around guide.)

I would also advise you to join #0ad-dev on QuakeNet to get some further help when working on a ticket.