Introduction of a new player

Hello everyone,

I have followed the project of 0AD ever since it was announced Wildfire Games was working on it. I have, however, never actually played the game yet because my time-schedule was too busy due to the fact I'm studying and prefer to spend most of my free time on the game StarCraft 2, which I play professionally. I have formerly played Age of Empires II + The Conquerors, Age of Empires III with all expansion packs, as well as Age of Mythology + The Titans. I guess my game history for RTS brought me here sooner or later to check the game and see how everything is going.

Even though I will not be playing this game as much as I'd love to, I decided it was time to download it and give it a first try and see where it stands. I am also interested in the community and see if it's actually a game and community that I'd like to spend more time with. I'm actually not sure how desired an introduction such as mine is by the community, but I guess it's worth finding out how you guys roll as a community and developers :)

For anyone interested to teach me the game, feel free to add my skype: patrickvankum or mail me to patjuh[at]druidz[dot]se.

Cheers! Patjuh

Edited by DruidzPatjuh
  • Like 1

There are some tutorials in the game, although quite well hidden :D

Set the map filter to "demo maps", and then you can pick the "introductory tutorial" (learning the commands) and the "starting economy walkthrough" (learning a good way to set up your economy.

Anyway, these tutorials are not profect, as a big part of the game is still work in progress. A lot of statistics even changed since the latest alpha version.

Aegis bot (the most intelligent AI for the game this far) is also a WIP. It can't handle naval warfare yet (so no island maps), and it has problems with packing and unpacking certain weapons. Next to that, it isn't the smartest one out there. But it gets smarter every release.

The biggest problem in this game is pathfinding. If there are a lot of units, it can sometimes generate a serious lag. So if you play against AI, try to limit it to one opponent, and keep your population limit at 300.

Development happens very openly (if you follow the forums, you'll see every new model pass by, you'll see which statistics or technologies they want to change). And I'm very happy for that.

Btw, I'm not a developer, just an admirer of the beautiful work they deliver.

• Like 1

Hi!

We had another SC2 pro who topped the AoM ladder a few times, TheMista, used to play with us and he liked the game (and gave good suggestions). You should enjoy it, except for the lag. It's a fun game, it's just not particularly well balanced (although it's not that bad) and it can get very, very laggy (regardless of your computer; the game is just inefficient). Also it starts to get a little repetitive after a while due to the very tiny tech tree.

Definitely drop by #0ad on quakenet and play a few games.