New and here to stay

Hey everyone!

This is my first post and definitely not my last. :)

I've been checking out 0-AD for quite a while, but didn't give it a shot yet until now.

Alpha 12 is busy downloading as I'm typing this and I have no idea what to expect from what have been developed so far.

As for introductions... I'm a Age of Empires 3 addict. :)

There's nothing really out there that really comes close to that steady progression thats AoE3 gameplay.

I hope that 0-AD will be capable to fill that gap.

Unfortunately I won't be able to contribute development time to the project itself, but I will dedicate time to playtest the game and help with donations once I'm in a position to do so. The project seems to be pretty awesome and right there in my alley. :)

I've been developing a few opensource projects of my own namely the UQE (Ultimate Quake Engine) set of engine modifications which can be found over on my personal website:

http://www.korvinkorax.com

I'm managing 3 projects in the Ultimate Quake Engine stable: UQE Quake, UQE Hexen II and UQE Doom 3.

Mostly updating the engines with loads of tweaks to make them function better on modern computers and generally make them a joy to get up and running with a minimum of features added to ensure the game continues to feel as close to original as possible.

Enough about my stuff though...

One of the questions I've got regarding 0-AD is: How does the updating procedure work?

It will be real cool if it has some kind of auto-updating feature that keeps the game tech in sync with the latest public builds. It'll definitely go a long way to have 0-AD feel like an "evergreen" style project.

I know I'm a newbie though, so I'll accept any grilling coming my way! :)

Edited by Korax

Hello and welcome to the forums.

How does the updating procedure work?

It will be real cool if it has some kind of auto-updating feature that keeps the game tech in sync with the latest public builds.

Currently we release about one alpha version each 3/4 monts. You have to download the whole installer each time.

The other possibility is using the SVN version to have a constantly updated (but potentially more buggy) version.

Maybe there will be an auto-updater in the future.

Hey thanks Yves. :)

The 3/4 month update cycle is cool.

An auto-updater somewhere in the future would be awesome. It'll help in a good way to automatically keep the game upto date and keep from re-downloading potential unchanged content.

Almost steam-like maybe. Not like that abomination called AoE Online that regularly costs around 2GB or more mainly because they don't know how to manage their changes in their virtual files. I hated that.

0-AD's download is done in around 10 minutes... can't wait!

Edited by Korax
  • Like 1

Hey thanks Yves. :)

The 3/4 month update cycle is cool.

An auto-updater somewhere in the future would be awesome. It'll help in a good way to automatically keep the game upto date and keep from re-downloading potential unchanged content.

Almost steam-like maybe. Not like that abomination called AoE Online that regularly costs around 2GB or more mainly because they don't know how to manage their changes in their virtual files. I hated that.

0-AD's download is done in around 10 minutes... can't wait!

Tell your friends, all are invited to play and contribute. and Welcome :)

I'll get some of my friends to try it out over the weekend for a multiplayer session.

I'm impressed by how smooth the game performed on my first tryout. :)

It definitely didn't feel like an alpha version.

Edited by Korax

I'm impressed by how smooth the game performed on my first tryout. :)

Don't expect to remain impressed. Performance is currently horrible (the main thing keeping it alpha right now).

Multiplayer is usually reasonably playable (although anything more than 2v2 can be extremely laggy late game), and single player will be sped up considerably in alpha 13, but expect some/considerable lag in every game.

• Like 1