Flatten construction sites?

idanwin

Now that the holidays have started I've also started toying around with Blender again. For some models it would be really nice if the construction site was flattened when placing the building because floating pots, weapons and bones look really bad.

I think we all mostly agree on this. The disagreement is on "how flat." Some wish to maintain some kind of slope relative to the original terrain and some (me) are okay with just making it completely flat (with some sloping on the edges to make the flat area blend well). Problems that need to be solved include pathfinding tweaks (since the new sloped areas may or may not change the passability of tiles, so how do we deal with this?).

We could implement flattening without influencing the passability. This would lead to some visual inconsistency with units walking up unusually steep slopes.

mountain climbing soldiers do look more plausible than floating buildings ...

I have to agree with idanwin here. As long as we slope the edges of the flattened area somewhat, it'll look okay. Plus, buildings can't be built on steep areas anyway, so the chances of seeing pathing inconsistencies is low (but not zero).

Okay, fine. But for some buildings this is just not the right thing. I'm thinking mostly about monuments (Stonehenge for example), in such cases you want the ground underneath to be flattened. Maybe have a 'flatten=true' in xml files for this kind of cases?

I'd be very surprised if some form of mild flattening isn't added. Stonehenge probably won't be buildable in-game, only in atlas, but I understand the example :)