Help! Regular crashing problems

number31

Hi. I'm a newbie, and I am aware I am playing the Alpha version of probably the sweetest game I've ever seen. (I'm a history undergrad, which makes it doubly awesome.). I'd like to report a crashing problem that consistently presents itself in every match I play. I'll discuss the details below.

Computer: Vista Starter Pack. Compaq Presario CQ40.

Vista always asks for admin access everytime I open pyrogenesis.

0 AD settings: version 11 Kronos

I turned off fancy water, particles, shadows. put renderpath to 'fixed'. It runs far too slowly if I didn't do this.

I've reinstalled 0 AD twice. The first time, everything mostly went swimmingly. The second time, I couldn't start a single match because it generated an error that I unfortunately haven't saved a log of (i think it was doing a function again and again after failing to start it). I uninstalled it. I reinstalled it now, for the third time.

This time, the program would regularly error at right about the time when the qbot computer players mass up and launch attacks. This is about around 10 minutes into the game, with most populations close to 100 with Age II bases complete with defenses.

The game crashes and produces this error message:

Much to our regret we must report the program has encountered an error.

Please let us know at http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ and attach the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp files.Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x0FA1A9E0)

010031C0

errno = 0 (No error reported here)

OS error = 0 (no error code was set)

I've never been able to progress beyond this point because it does this for every match. I usually play on 4 players, 2v2, and this happens. On 1v1 with the scenario maps, it does this error when the enemy has already reached my base. Does computer load have anything to do with it? (fewer units for 1v1, it hits some sort of crash threshold later? I dunno.)

I'm going to upload crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp. I'm hoping for some advice on dealing with this problem, and I can see that the forum is very helpful at looking at the alpha players' experiences. God bless you guys!

Yours truly,

-number31crashlog.txtcrashlog.dmp

I can't tell what this is but it sounds like an Out Of Memory (OOM) error.

Could you add the mainlog.html and the interestinglog.html. It should be found at %LocalAppData%\0ad\logs (AppData\Local\0ad\logs when in your user directory). You may need to turn on showing all files in the windows explorers settings.

Perhaps try playing a small (or even tiny) random map with only 1 enemy bot. That should at leas work fine if it's not graphic related.

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 1

Hi FeXor!

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm uploading boths logs right now.

The same thing happens, only later. About 30 seconds or so. With the 2v2's, it happens just as everyone is massing forces. With one on one's, it crashes when me and my enemy's soldiers are already fighting (at around halfway around the battle).

This laptop is 5 years old and uses Intel 4 for graphics, which is not exactly the best platform for this game. I think your hypothesis is right: it can't handle the memory usage. I'll try testing it on a newer computer. Thanks for the help!

Yours truly,

-number31

interestinglog.htmlmainlog.html

Hm, there's no indication of an OOM error in the log files so it might be a graphic error as well. I'm not that familiar with the graphics so I can't say much more.

It should run with an 5 year old computer if the graphic card can handle it. Not sure. Perhaps someone more in graphics could tell what that might be.

Trying on an newer computer won't hurt though ;)

The game reportedly works well with ARB on Intel 3000, which I believe is worse than what you have. Since we load 99% of our graphics data very early in the game, there would be errors from the start, so I don't think you're hitting a graphics memory limit (don't have the data to rule it out, though).

This is a complete guess, but maybe for some reason your graphics driver is trying to run the game in software emulation mode? Just in case, you might want to update your graphics card driver. If possible, get the official Intel driver, even if there's an HP-branded driver for your laptop.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I'm glad to see so many people trying to help.

FeXor, I haven't tested on my father's newly bought Asus yet. We did upgrade both computers to Windows 8 just now. The process uninstalled pretty much everything. I'm redownloading the game to test the new OS did anything. I'm hoping for an improvement :D

feneur, the game was installed in the Appdata folder, local. It was separated into two folders named "0ad alpha" and "0ad". Is this the correct installation path?

myconid, I checked windows task manager and device manager. The memory limit for Intel 4 series showed 797 mb. That's weird because the Intel website said they could go to 1.7 gb. I dunno.

Some trivia on my Vista Starter pack. Lots of things have went wrong with it in my experience. Some fonts are gone, icons don't show (the icons on this page where I'm typing this message are gone), explorer.exe crashes at least once per session. I hope my move to Windows 8 fixes this and maybe, just maybe, makes 0 AD better to play.

I'l report on this forum as to what happened.

Okay. I installed it again. It gave me an error at the start:

The GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar extension doesn't appear to be available on your computer. Shadows are not available and overall graphics quality might suffer. You are advised to try installing newer drivers and/or upgrade your graphics card.

Call stack:

(error while dumping stack: No stack frames found)

errno = 13 (Insufficient access rights to open file)

OS error = 0 (no error code was set)

====================================

SVN Revision: 12634

System info:

(generated 2012-10-28 11:47:28 UTC)

CPU : x86, Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2.00GHz (1x2x1), 2.00 GHz

Memory : 2048 MiB; 935 MiB free

Graphics Card : Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1);

OpenGL Drivers : 1.1.0; OpenGL 1.1.0

Video Mode : 1280x800:32

Sound Card : High Definition Audio Device;

Sound Drivers :

OpenGL Extensions:

GL_WIN_swap_hint

GL_EXT_bgra

SMBIOS:

I hit continue twice to try it out anyway. The menu ran incredibly slow, and the text from the drop-down menues were missing.

-number31

Edited by number31

the error message says that a OpenGL function is unavailable(it worked previously, so it is a software problem)

you now probably run the game with the windows builtin OpenGL libs, which are slow and outdated (afaik dated around 2000) and render on the CPU

OpenGL Drivers : 1.1.0; OpenGL 1.1.0
that one indicates that

did you install the graphics drivers from Intel? (or at least a win8 driver pack from your vendor(if available))?

installing directx does not help, since the game uses OperGL

Hi luziferius. I tried looking around on the internet for answers. After searching Intel's community forums, I found that Intel is counting on Windows releasing intel 4 series drivers for computers who upgraded to Windows 8.

This means that the driver Windows put on this computer is probably one of the older ones, like the versions you mentioned.

It's kinda sad that I can't continue to try this game because of this, but I'm hoping for a quick resolution.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-number31