In-game video recording

I wonder if this wouldn't be relatively easy for someone like Myconid to do if only the right libraries were available:

Over here, BrynnOfCastlegate reported that screen-recorded fighting scenes look, quote, "awful" on video due to the frame rate dropping when a lot of stuff is going on - not great for a game whose essence is fighting. Solution: Don't do screen-recording. Instead have the renderer dump frames at a rate fixed relative to sim-time.

Apparently, there is already some code for recording video in Atlas, but it has a legally questionable dependency. Instead I propose using the free WebM format, which is supported by YouTube and a number of browsers. If users need the video in another format, they can convert it without legal ramifications for 0 A.D.

WebM video can be encoded with this API of the libvpx library. Any interest in having this added to the build? In my view, it would it make easier for anyone to make nice "let's plays", and in the future it could be used for cool things like automatically uploading a video of the match you just played to YouTube (and from there on to Twitter etc.)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Philip has done something like this at one point, not sure if that was related to the ffmpeg or something else though, so I'm not sure how much help it would be. Just a moment of encouragement to talk with him for the person who ends up implementing something like this ;)