Sea Walls

CarsontheSage

There might be some history behind it. Constantinople accomplished the feat by using chains (hardly a wall though).

Carthage did come close but their walls were along the beach. Those walls never fell :D

Personally I prefer to build piers instead of sea walls. Kind of like a wall, but where the wall tower node is, one could add a dock. If only one could dig up the history...

Currently I think the main priority (concerning walls) is to let you build them against the water so that no units can pass. But it would be really nice to see piers implemented later on!

Maybe if you have a wall node on two sides of a river you can span chains between the two so that no ships can pass. It would work like a gate. When a friendly ship arrives the chains are let down into the water and the ship passes over it, afterwards the chains are hauled back up to block enemy ships.

Maybe if you have a wall node on two sides of a river you can span chains between the two so that no ships can pass. It would work like a gate. When a friendly ship arrives the chains are let down into the water and the ship passes over it, afterwards the chains are hauled back up to block enemy ships.

I like this much better than having to figure out a way to make "sea walls" work. It also reminds me of
A Clash of Kings
. I agree with others that there never really were "sea walls" but rather walls built upon jetties or along the shore. I think we should allow walls to be built into shallows so that we can properly close off a beach to enemy units. Right now, it is impossible to build walls out far enough to do this.

I like this much better than having to figure out a way to make "sea walls" work. It also reminds me of

A Clash of Kings
. I agree with others that there never really were "sea walls" but rather walls built upon jetties or along the shore. I think we should allow walls to be built into shallows so that we can properly close off a beach to enemy units. Right now, it is impossible to build walls out far enough to do this.

Walls need slightly looser build restrictions compared to "normal" buildings, IIRC the problem is a technical one: how to specify this in terms of (pathfinder) passability classes. If there's not a ticket for it, I will make one.

• Like 1