Head texture

zaphzaph

What process did you try?

The key with texturing is UV mapping, which tells the game how a texture gets mapped onto a 3D shape. So if you import a head prop's DAE into Blender, you should be able to enter UV coordinate mode and view the mapping. I guess you have a few options: either try to alter your new head texture to match the UV map, or alter the UV map to match your new head texture.

It's possible each head prop has a different UV mapping, so it's not guaranteed that a single texture will work for every head, but I'm not certain :)

What process did you try?

The key with texturing is UV mapping, which tells the game how a texture gets mapped onto a 3D shape. So if you import a head prop's DAE into Blender, you should be able to enter UV coordinate mode and view the mapping. I guess you have a few options: either try to alter your new head texture to match the UV map, or alter the UV map to match your new head texture.

It's possible each head prop has a different UV mapping, so it's not guaranteed that a single texture will work for every head, but I'm not certain :)

An easier way would be to just open one of the existing head textures in Photoshop or Gimp and use it as a guide. ;)

Hello dear all !!

I try to create an head texture 1 week ago but the results isn't so good for me.

I would to create a character in the game with the same head than me. Can i ask you tips for create it please ?

For the "best" results (without texture stretching and having a good idea of the final result) I will suggest you to do it with projection painting in blender.

1.- Import a .DAE file of an existing head into blender. You can find some heads here http://svn.wildfireg...t/meshes/props/ (if you get an error importing, edit the .dae file with notepad and erase the content between <diffuse> ... </diffuse>)

2.- In blender, create a new image texture for the head object. Then you start the projection paint process from your photo, but you will need an addon. From minute 6:20 of this video you have the process (It's done to an high poly mesh, but it's the same process for your head) http://cgcookie.com/...lender-part-03/

3.- Save the image file you created to use it in-game.

Maybe this seems too complex if you never tried before, but I assure you that it will give you the best result.

Edited by Enrique

I follow your tips. I've imported a DAE head and i have installed the bprojection addon. But i don't know how can i continue and i don't find the tool, bprojection:

preferences.bmp

blender vue.bmp

You're almost there!

-Now you have to enter edit mode (with TAB) and create a new texture in UV editor (Image>new image>OK it's black as default).

-To enter to UV image editor, split the screen with the arrow in the corner on the screen with a red circle in the screenshot:

post-13528-0-38974600-1345115784_thumb.j

-You have turned on the addon in the preferences, now to use it, enter "UV painting" mode.

-The BProjection menu appears on the right toolbox (If you cannot see the right toolbox, it opens/close with "N")

-Click on "add Bprojection plan" to enable bprojection

post-13528-0-02752400-1345115951_thumb.j

1.- Click "add image", Now you have to select the image to "clone" the texture from it.

2.- Click "Apply image" to show your image on the viewport

3.- Use those sliders to move your clone source image around the viewport (first slider is for left-right, last slider is for up-down) Also, scale up your photo reference to match your head size.

4.- Change your painting brush to "clone", Then CTRL+left click over your source image select the portion to clone.

5.- Paint over your head!

post-13528-0-29813600-1345116411_thumb.j

6.- Remember to save your created "image texture" after painting it. In UV image editor: Image>save image

This addon is currently under heavy developement, that's why it has so many "steps" to get it working. But it's really powerful and saves a lot of time.

I hope my explanation was somewhat useful.

More information: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/bprojection

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your explanation.

here is my where i am :

making head texture.bmp

But it's difficult for me to make a good texture. have you got some tips ?

Here are some:

-Keep always Orthographic views, not perspective views when you are painting. (toggle between orthographic and perspective with numpad 5)

-Clone from different angles: Make a photo of yourself from the front, and another one from the side. (after that you can switch between numpad 1 and numpad3 to paint your head from that angles.

-Make photos without shadows. This will make half of your face dark, and the other half illuminated and the result will look weird.

-You can take a look to the tutorial from blendercookie I linked before, I learned a lot from it.

-Oh! and practice, practice, practice :P