University system like EE2

Slate

First I just want to say this is by far one of the best RTS games out there, with so much potential!

I always loved the university system that Empire Earth 2 had. Where you could train "scholars" who would in return be garrisoned in the university and generate tech points. Once you gained enough tech points over time you could research a technology that helped out in a certain aspect. Being maybe cheaper houses, or stronger swords etc. I loved that building because of these improvements, Maybe 0 AD can implant something similar? Maybe they could create a tech tree where you would move along and decide what to research, Like in this picture here

gDmvC.jpg

I dont think its too complicated, you can get rid of the tech points or the fith resource and just use normal resources and instead each upgrade would cost a varied amount like. 120 wood and 50 metal for spears, and for iron spears 175 wood and 100 metal etc

Maybe if there was more technoliges to improve even further. Some technologies being specific for spearman, swordsman,archers etc. I just thought having more of an upgrade(options) would give diversity to a unit. As it just being a regualr spearman it could be a spearman with lvl 1 spears and lvl 3 chainmail etc... Sorry for not being able to describe it at best but i hope you get an idea :(

Ah, well, technologies have just begun to be added ;) So expect some more to be added, especially technologies which are unique for the different civs.

That said, apart from some techs + ranks I don't think we're going to go too deep into customizing units. It makes sense for an RPG, or for a game like AoEo where you have a static empire that you build up over time, but for regular skirmish gameplay it seems a bit much to me personally at least. That said, for the "imperial campaign" mode we're planning it could be an option to go a bit further as you're going to keep the same units over multiple individual skirmish matches there.

I'm almost certain we'll have a tech tree in-game and we'll make it look as good as possible :) Something like the AoE series where you see all units, structures, and techs, with the useful stats. We could improve on that by integrating the actual research progress/selection with the tree display.

Like Erik said, points-based techs don't really feel appropriate for 0 A.D's style of RTS. It would make an interesting mod though and not too challenging to add.