Graphics lag on Alpha IX

slopoke

No complaint, just would like to know where a config file might be. Video lag and choppiness can get pretty severe.

Mepis 11 (Debian Squeeze core)

Intel Dual Core @ 2.6GHz

3 GB of RAM

Nvidia 9600 GT with 1 GB of RAM

I play World of Warcraft under Wine with no problems.

Thanks

• Like 1

i must confess , the game optimization are incredible but not in all maps(Deep Forest) and a lot of units in map.

but they are knows problem with Ai and Pathfinder, nut i still waiting performing between the releases and subversions.

Deep forest may be considered very demanding for the pathfinder because the trees are placed randomly on each tile. That leads to many small gaps which single units can pass but not a bunch of units (in part because of formations but even just because units may block each other).

I hope a new pathfinder might do better but I am considering rewriting the tree placement (though somehow it's what makes deep forest unique).

Another thing that might help particularly on forest maps is to set "forcealphatest" to true. Basically it switches from slower alpha blending to faster alpha testing. Transparently textured models will look slightly worse but there should be a renderer performance boost (eventually this option may be enabled for trees and other flora once we tweak their models and textures to look better).

I hope a new pathfinder might do better but I am considering rewriting the tree placement (though somehow it's what makes deep forest unique).

There are a number of issues on highly forested maps, pathfinding is just one of them. The cost of all the transparent models being rendered is another (see above). There's also the issue of memory usage for having so many entities on the map. We need good solutions for all of those problems, but maybe map tweaks are a decent short-term solution :)

• 4 weeks later...

the tree must place in group not individually

That would make pathfinding a lot easier but also would not be very realistic. Trees in forests are more or less equally distributed (simply because being to tight to each other makes them get less light). So I decided rather to define a tree density and not to use many small groups of trees. As a side effect it generates much faster then with clump placers avoiding itself with the same number of trees in total and it looks like wider areas of the map are covered with woods. And, as said before, it makes the map unique.