Multiplayer Local Network

viniciusnicacio

So, I'm not really good at searching, but I tried to look for an answer at the forum and find nothing...

It may be dumb, but I'm trying to play 0 A.D with my brother in multiplayer and I'm not being sucessful. Our connection to internet is through a router, what means that we both have the same IP adress. So when I type the IP adress to join his game, nothing happens (and vice versa)!

Can someone explains what's happening? I don't think I got any firewall, since I did not installed any... I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 (and so does he). What should I do to play with him?

Thanks in advance.

If you are on the same LAN (which it sounds like you are), you need to use your internal IP addresses, not the external one (which is shared). Try running ifconfig on either machine and use the address in the "inet addr" field of eth0 or whatever network interface you are using.

Or setup your router to create a outside ip when gaming (there's a option for it on my router, maybe not yours though.. )

and hit whatismyip.com

Enter that as your ip when trying to connect (the host will go to wimi) and the other user will connect to the host using the IP it gave you..

(This may work even without setting up the option for the router to setup the outside ip, so give it a try and let us know what happens XD )