Saving multiplayer games...

Arthur_D

Are there any plans to make it possible to save multiplayer matches? This feature is really important, as time is scarce nowadays and you might only have an hour or less to spare with your friends, and then RTS games are often out of the question because they didn't include the possibility to save multiplayer matches. In fact, I believe that's an important reason as to why I and my friends much more often used to play Settlers 3 than either of the AoE games. Another important factor is that computers, games and especially networks are unstable things, having the tendency to drop out on you in the worst moments. It's not fun at all playing for an hour and a half and suddenly one of the 5-6 computers decides to puke and reboot. Saves can really save the day in such a situation.

Once, I played a 6 hour long game of AoE 3. I won't even think of how mad I would be if it crashed when I was about to win. So yeah, please add the save feature to multiplayer games as well; it would make the game be even more outstanding. (And I don't care if it takes a few jigabytes of space on my drive; I've got plenty.)

Edited by Arthur_D

Yeah, but I'm not only speaking about saving in single player mode. For some reason, it seems that newer RTS games don't include saving for multiplayer anymore, but only for single player. That makes committing to a match with several players a very risky business, even on a LAN network as something could go wrong any minute, which would mean several people wasted their time since no recover is possible (maybe you get it up again before the timeout, but I wouldn't count on it).

So I hope saving will be possible anytime, in any game mode. :)

Saving will be just as easy to implement for multiplayer as for single player. The trickier part is loading :). (I guess we'd have "saved games" in the map list on the game setup screen, and the host can select a saved game which they have, and then it'll download it to every player before starting the match, which is a bit of a hassle but should be feasible.)

Saving will be just as easy to implement for multiplayer as for single player. The trickier part is loading :). (I guess we'd have "saved games" in the map list on the game setup screen, and the host can select a saved game which they have, and then it'll download it to every player before starting the match, which is a bit of a hassle but should be feasible.)

Then you'd need to determine which computer is which player. Civilisation Implemented it in a way that allowed hot-swapping, joining and leaving a game while it is running, you can save it like a singleplayer game and you could put passwords on individual civilisations to prevent stealing.

It's a nice way to do it.