A Couple Of Ideas For Organised Gameplay...

Sebovzeoueb

I have often found myself wanting in an RTS a screen listing all your units/buildings. Much like the City and Unit Advisors in Civ 2 (and doubtless other Civ games).

This would really help to avoid losing track of where each building is, and where all the units are, and what they are doing. Not 100% sure what the system would look like, but I think it could add a new dimension to RTS gaming (maybe some games have this kind of system already, I don't know).

Here is a "Rage Comic" style mockup:

0adadvisor.gif

Maybe this could be a panel that can be hidden or shown.

Also, I was thinking it could be cool to have formations of units which act as one unit. Selecting massive armies can get messy, and although groups exist, I really liked the formations in Cossacks. You can select a whole army with one click, and they always move together and attack in an organised manner. Also the Hero units could act as leaders for a formation, bringing bonuses to the group.

Yes, it would have to be a very streamlined system, probably with various filters and generally well thought out. Probably more useful for structures than for units.

It's just an idea based on my experience of playing RTS games, and also based on how useful I have found these kind of screens in civ2.

I think of it more as a screen/panel that you would access if you are looking for something, rather than having it open all the time. Also I was thinking some sort of map screen could be nice, a bit like when you fully zoom out on Supreme Commander. Basically some way to have an overall view of what is going on, that is more detailed than the minimap.

Maybe I am the only one who finds it hard to manage sprawling empires...

It may could be useful for Units, not single units, but group of units. To have an overview of your army/citizens. And with a checkbox with the ability to select them.

For example selecting idle woman in the north part of the map, or selecting all warriors of the east part.