Why Enet 1.2?

Either way would be fine but currently stuff breaks and since 2 versions of enet lead to incompatibility, this should be resolved one way or another. Personally I'd prefer just upgrading to enet 1.3 and relying on the distros to ship that because enet doesn't have releases often.

I remember having a discussion about it. I cannot remember the outcome of that discussion.

Here is Philip's answer about this: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14725&view=findpost&p=219233 :

Any idea when you will switch to libeven 1.3.x?

Probably for the next release - I think the easiest approach is probably to bundle ENet 1.3 with the game, for distros that only have 1.2 (which should disappear over time), but use the standard system library when available, so it just needs a bit of fiddling with the build system to support that.

I started working on this a few days ago, by bundling a copy of ENet 1.3 and using that unless you build with --with-system-enet (similar to the current --with-system-nvtt), but I couldn't get it to work on Windows (it keeps complaining about stupid CRT manifest stuff) so I temporarily gave up. I should get back to it soon when I have more patience :)