compilation error on mac osx 10.6.4

aeno

hi everyone,

i'm trying to compile 0ad under mac osx 10.6.4 snow leopard. i installed all the macports prerequisites successfully but when i try to "make" i get two errors in "network":

==== Building mocks_real ====
make[1]: `../../../binaries/system/libmocks_real_dbg.a' is up to date.
==== Building network ====
mkdir -p obj/network_Debug
/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -MMD -D "LIB_STATIC_LINK" -D "DEBUG" -D "USING_PCH" -I "/usr/X11R6/include/X11" -I "/usr/X11R6/include" -I "/usr/include/X11" -I "../../../source/pch/network" -I "../../../source/" -I "../../../libraries/spidermonkey-tip/include-unix/debug" -I "/opt/local/include" -g -Wall -Wno-switch -Wno-reorder -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wextra -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-parameter -Wredundant-decls -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wundef -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstrict-aliasing -fpch-preprocess -msse -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden -MF obj/network_Debug/NetClient.d -MT obj/network_Debug/NetClient.o -o obj/network_Debug/NetClient.o -c -include obj/network_Debug/precompiled.h ../../../source/network/NetClient.cpp
In file included from ../../../source/ps/CConsole.h:30,
from ../../../source/network/NetClient.cpp:27:
../../../source/lib/file/vfs/vfs_path.h:68: error: ‘is_basic_path’ is not a template
../../../source/lib/file/vfs/vfs_path.h:69: error: explicit specialization of non-template ‘boost::filesystem::is_basic_path’
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:214: warning: ‘boost::system::posix_category’ defined but not used
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:215: warning: ‘boost::system::errno_ecat’ defined but not used
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:216: warning: ‘boost::system::native_ecat’ defined but not used
make[1]: *** [obj/network_Debug/NetClient.o] Error 1
make: *** [network] Error 2

has anyone a clue why that error occurs?

thanks for all your help,

aeno

I've upgrade to the new revision but i've the same kinf of error during compilation.

I don't understand the patch, i think. I've add the 3 lines in the source file, that's it ?

EDIT : it seems to be working. Thanks Karlik ! I've missed the # in the patch.

But i've some warning : "dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules".

Is the command "sudo" necessary before "make" or not ?

(Excuse my language, i'm french.) =/

Edited by Rorto

I've tried with archive of the latest release instead of SVN files. (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/LatestRelease)

So during building lowlevel :

../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:38: error: invalid conversion from ‘volatile int64_t*’ to ‘volatile intptr_t*’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:38: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘bool cpu_CAS(volatile intptr_t*, intptr_t, intptr_t)’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp: At global scope:
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:30: warning: ‘LINE_30_2’ defined but not used
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:31: warning: ‘LINE_31_2’ defined but not used
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:32: warning: ‘LINE_32_2’ defined but not used
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:214: warning: ‘boost::system::posix_category’ defined but not used
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:215: warning: ‘boost::system::errno_ecat’ defined but not used
/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:216: warning: ‘boost::system::native_ecat’ defined but not used
make[1]: *** [obj/lowlevel_Debug/cpu.o] Error 1
make: *** [lowlevel] Error 2

Thanks for your help.

It looks ARCH_AMD64 is defined to 1 and i64 and intptr_t aren't the same.

Can you please verify this by (temporarily) adding something like

#if ARCH_AMD64 == 1
#error "arch is 64, remove me"
#endif
#if sizeof(i64) != sizeof(intptr_t)
#error "size mismatch, remove me"
#endif

in cpu.cpp?

The next question is of course: why and how is intptr_t defined? It should be the same size as a pointer, or else all kinds of stuff will break.

After adding your code to cpu.cpp, the error is :

cpu.cpp
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:57:2: error: #error "arch is 64, remove me"
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:59:5: warning: "sizeof" is not defined
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:59:11: error: missing binary operator before token "("
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp: In function ‘void TestCAS64()’:
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:38: error: invalid conversion from ‘volatile int64_t*’ to ‘volatile intptr_t*’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:38: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘bool cpu_CAS(volatile intptr_t*, intptr_t, intptr_t)’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:30: warning: ‘LINE_30_2’ defined but not used
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:31: warning: ‘LINE_31_2’ defined but not used
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:32: warning: ‘LINE_32_2’ defined but not used
make[1]: *** [obj/lowlevel_Release/cpu.o] Error 1

So i've removed

#if ARCH_AMD64 == 1
#error "arch is 64, remove me"
#endif

And the error is :

==== Building mocks_test ====
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:57:5: warning: "sizeof" is not defined
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:57:11: error: missing binary operator before token "("
make[1]: `../../../binaries/system/libmocks_test.a' is up to date.
==== Building AtlasObject ====

I don't understand anything. =/

But thanks for the help. ^^

Edited by Rorto

OK, thanks. We now know that our predefined macros believe your system to be 64 bit ;)

Unfortunately I screwed up the latter half of that snippet - `sizeof' isn't known to the preprocessor, oops.

Instead, we need to add an actual line of code somewhere that is sure to run, e.g. as the first line within main() in main.cpp:

debug_printf(L"here are the sizes: %d %d %d\n", sizeof(int), sizeof(void*), sizeof(intptr_t));

Those 3 numbers should then be displayed somewhere in the console/terminal - can you please post them?

With the last rev (8078) i've :

==== Building atlas ====
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../source/graphics/TextureEntry.h', needed by `obj/graphics_Release/GameView.o'. Stop.
make: *** [graphics] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../source/graphics/TextureManager.h', needed by `obj/engine_Release/GameSetup.o'. Stop.
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
World.cpp
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../source/graphics/TextureEntry.h', needed by `obj/atlas_Release/ActorViewer.o'. Stop.
make: *** [atlas] Error 2
In file included from ../../../source/ps/World.cpp:33:
../../../source/lib/timer.h: In member function ‘void TimerUnit::AddDifferenceAtomic(TimerUnit, TimerUnit)’:
../../../source/lib/timer.h:178: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
make: *** [engine] Error 2

And with your line it's :

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../source/graphics/TextureManager.h', needed by `obj/engine_Release/GameSetup.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [engine] Error 2
make[1]: `../../../binaries/system/libi18n.a' is up to date.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../source/graphics/TextureEntry.h', needed by `obj/graphics_Release/GameView.o'. Stop.
make: *** [graphics] Error 2

Exept if I was wrong with main.cpp. Should he looks like that ?

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
EarlyInit(); // must come at beginning of main
debug_printf(L"here are the sizes: %d %d %d\n", sizeof(int), sizeof(void*), sizeof(intptr_t));

RunGameOrAtlas(argc, const_cast<const char**>(argv));

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

I'm really lost. =/

You need to run "make clean" and run update-workspaces.sh again, after updating from SVN, if any source files have been added or deleted recently (which they have). That will fix the "No rule to make target" errors. (I expect you'll still get the "invalid conversion from ‘volatile int64_t*’ to ‘volatile intptr_t*’" errors, though.)

#535 has some information from Bob who had a similar problem.

Aha! 64-bit, even though the system is 32-bit? Is that the case here? (Wasn't commented upon above)

Adding lines of code to run doesn't sound very helpful when the problem is the game won't build...

heh, it'll also work, just need to comment out everything that causes a compile error.

Your cassert idea is simpler still, though. I've added those sanity checks to cpu.cpp, can't hurt.

Exept if I was wrong with main.cpp. Should he looks like that ?

The debug_printf really should be the very first thing (that comment notwithstanding), but it is no longer needed.

Instead, the new casserts in cpu.cpp will probably explode - what messages are you getting?

(I'm still not sure whether the problem is an inadvertant definition of ARCH_AMD64 or incorrect definition of intptr_t)

I've delete my old copy and download a new one.

During ==== Building wxJS ==== the error is :

cpu.cpp
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:51: error: invalid conversion from ‘volatile int64_t*’ to ‘volatile intptr_t*’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:51: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘bool cpu_CAS(volatile intptr_t*, intptr_t, intptr_t)’
In file included from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpdata.h:21,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpfrm.h:20,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpctrl.h:20,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/help.h:36,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/cshelp.h:19,
from ../../../source/tools/atlas/wxJS/gui/control/helpbtn.h:28,
from ../../../source/tools/atlas/wxJS/gui/gui_init.cpp:82:
/opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/filesys.h: In member function ‘wxFSHandlerHash_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxFSHandlerHash_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const void* const&) const’:
/opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/filesys.h:176: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

(too long ?)

hm, interesting. Line 51 is the new location of the cpu_CAS64 call, so it looks like those casserts are not failing. Apparently what is happening is that intptr_t and i64 aren't actually the same type, so GCC refuses to cast.

I have now removed the cpu_CAS64 wrapper. Code that always wants to write 64 bits (regardless of pointer size) will now need to call ia32_asm_CAS64 #if ARCH_IA32, which isn't too bad since it's only 2 spots.

That should fix it - can you confirm?

(BTW, mention of wxJS is unrelated - it was probably compiling that in parallel.)

Now (rev8080) i've : (the same, no ?)

cpu.cpp
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:51: error: invalid conversion from ‘volatile int64_t*’ to ‘volatile intptr_t*’
../../../source/lib/sysdep/cpu.cpp:51: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘bool cpu_CAS(volatile intptr_t*, intptr_t, intptr_t)’
In file included from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpdata.h:21,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpfrm.h:20,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/html/helpctrl.h:20,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/help.h:36,
from /opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/cshelp.h:19,
from ../../../source/tools/atlas/wxJS/gui/control/helpbtn.h:28,
from ../../../source/tools/atlas/wxJS/gui/gui_init.cpp:82:
/opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/filesys.h: In member function ‘wxFSHandlerHash_wxImplementation_HashTable::Node** wxFSHandlerHash_wxImplementation_HashTable::GetNodePtr(const void* const&) const’:
/opt/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/filesys.h:176: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

and many things like that :

ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libxml2.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
ld: warning: duplicate dylib /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib
ld: in /opt/local/lib/libxml2.2.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

Edited by Rorto

Impossible ;) r8080 is the newer version of that file, yes. However, the offending function call moved down a few lines, it's no longer on line 51. You must be compiling an older version still - did you do make clean here as well?

The ld warnings also indicate something is very wrong with your build system. Unfortunately I can't help there, never done any dev work on OS X :/