So what are animals like

Argantonius

Hi, my first post here.

I would want to know just how animals behave in this game. One of the things that I disliked more from AoEIII is that wild animals basically ignore humans. If you don't attack them, they don't move at all (and, in the case of herbivores, they just "run" two steps and stop). The old AoE was better in the sense that there were different actions depending of the species: gazelles fled from any unit (except other gazelles and elephants), elephants ignored humans till they were attacked and then fought back, and lions and crocodiles attacked both gazelles and player units that entered their LoV. It was odd to see a crocodile biting a catapult when it happened, but well, that did not happen many times. But it was weirder to see the opposite of AoE in Gallic Wars... i.e. animals could be killed but not hunted, and everything except deer was dying to just attack your soldiers (predatory human eating wildboars, that's the real definition of weird).

So what are animals here. Are they just meat deposits easy to seize? Mere eye candy? Or something like AoE (and to a lesser extent AoK, where wolves inexplicably did not eat deer or sheep)?

I'm specially interested in the possibility of seeing hervibores that can fight back, like elephants, rhinos, wildboars and aurochs. Pity there aren't many games with aurochs in it, Ancients said they were badass. And it's always funny to see hunters having a bad day.

Right now animals don't do anything as the animal AI isn't implemented yet ;)

It will look like this though:

Most herbivores will be huntable/gatherable in one way or another, all animals on land will behave according to one of several different "natures" (i.e. aggressive, defensive etc, but not only will attack or will run away). Animals living in the sea will just be eye candy in part 1.