How can you guys prevent ..

ZeZar

7-Zip does even better compression - various parts of Prometheus are 3.4MB as zip, 2.9MB as rar, and 2.6MB as 7z. And it's free, which is nice :D

For any attempt at security, you have to assume people are as nasty and devious and patient as they can possibly be; telling a non-tester the password is no harder than telling them the URL to download the file, and neither are much harder than just sending them the uncompressed contents; none of those are at all effective as security.

A CD key type thing for testers might work reasonably well - tie each key to a specific username and limit it to one connection at a time, which would discourage people from giving anyone else their key (since they'd have to share their username and their time). For the released game, CD keys would be fairly pointless - we're not going to charge $50 to get a new one, so losing a key (by being banned) wouldn't have any negative effect on its owner. Unless we make it really really difficult to get one (mmm... Tribes 2...) but putting off legitimate players is probably not a particularly good plan :D

Ah I just remembered! Theres another thing call Uharc - which is a really extreme compressor, I'll have to test that with your 7-Zip thing sometime down the road :D

Also, we could increase security by making the Decompressor (for Uharc, you don't need the program to decompress) be seperate from the download, and only give the decompressor to people we want to play the alpha/beta/game.

Ah, I don't think I've seen that before - thanks for mentioning it. Except UHARC gave an almost identical file size to 7z (10KB smaller, or about half a percent, which is fairly negligible), but took about 20 seconds to decompress that 2.5MB file compared to 7z's 2 seconds. So unless people want to spend as much time decompressing as downloading, UHARC is probably not the best choice :D

It's better at some media than 7z, I'm sure :D The Binary doesn't have alot of art in it, so I dunno, we'll see.

Also, did you try it with highest compression setting? Takes for ever but it can really compress stuff.

[EDIT] - I just ran a test, I compressed my ScEd0.0.7.2 folder (42.9MB)

Both compressers were on their second highest settings for this test

Uharc: 14,597KB

7z - 14,285 KB

7-z Wins!

Completely useless information but almost relevant to the discussion:

I found time to be patient and tried PAQAR 2.0, which some places consider to be the best that exists; after about half an hour (1824.63 seconds), it produced a 2306KB file, 12% smaller than 7zip's 2635KB. It's extremely good at compressing, but it's painfully slow, and I think there's a limit to how much time I'm willing to wait :D