Ultimate combat?

MrBlack103

Okay, I've been thinking out a system I would like to see in an RTS game that I don't think should cause too much lag, while still being unique and boring.

On a basic level, any human unit has only one (yes, one!) hitpoint. However, there are multiple modifiers that affect whether the unit dies or not. Let's use an archer trying to shoot a swordsman as an example. There are several stages in this sequence:

accuracy: Obviously, the archer would have to actually hit its target. Accuracy is a factor in most RTS games, so this would be quite easy to implement. This would probably signified as x% and would increase or decrease with the implemented "skill" of the archer.

shielding: If the arrow manages to hit, the shield of its target comes into play. Depending on what type of shield, the chances of it blocking the damage (and I mean completely blocking!) would again be defined as x%. This is also where formations come into play. For example, if the swordsman was part of a turtle-like formation, the chances of the arrow penetrating would be significantly lowered due to the neighboring shields.

damage: Okay, so the arrow has hit its target and buries itself into the flesh. Now you should be thinking "the soldier dies now, right?". That depends - there are two types of damage - a) fatal/critical: this completely kills the soldier, obviously. :lol: minor: this is simply an injury that has not completely incapacitated a soldier. Instead of dying, the soldier's fighting capabilities are lowered, simulating blood loss and struggling to stay upright. This is also where a soldier's "damage graphics", which have been discussed elsewhere, come in handy. Additionally, if the soldier has already taken a "minor" injury, he dies anyway.

On top of all this, the soldier's armour, depending on how good it is, reduces the chances of the injury being "fatal". Also, the chances of it being fatal depend on what type of damage the soldier is recieving.

The same sort of process goes for hand-to-hand combat. Just visualize swords as arrows.

I know that this would involve totally changing the game engine, but changes such as this would make this an entirely unique game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That would be quite a change for the designers.

About fatal hits and stuff, that would be like a crit hit.

About shields, that would be what they're already doing; giving a percentage on how much a type of soldier will do to another (Ex; 50% Hand damage will be done, 20% Piercing will be done, 99% siege will be done Etc.)

And about accuracy, I guess that'll only apply to archers unless if a certain unit gets a "phase" ability allowing 15% chance of that unit dodging an attack.

And even these are long shots, and probably won't make it in the game, but then again who knows, maybe they will put this in the game to make it more realistic.