Random map way too random when created in the Editor...

krt0143

Some maps have unexpected scripts which the editor doesn't mention, and which only appear when playing the map (and also mostly don't work, with or without little error messages). :huh:

Example the "Flood" random map: I played one created inside the game (it was normal, had nothing special), but I also created one in the editor, which in the game had some astonishing differences: First of all impossible to construct any 1st age buildings! They were gone, not just disabled, even the icons were gone! No docks, no farmstead, no storehouse, no civic center, at least houses were still allowed...
Second, soon a little message appeared, warning me of an "incoming wave", with a countdown -- but nothing happened. Very disappointing... :(

Why is the editor version of that random map so completely different (silly building permissions, broken countdown to something)?

I've checked "flood.js" and "flood.json", but as far as I understand the code, they just contain the random generation parameters. Where did the editor find that broken countdown script and those unfortunate changes in building permissions? :blink:

I'd like to either prevent it or fix it, whichever one.

Okay, I still don't know why it does this, but at least I found how to fix it: Editing the resulting map's XML file I found following nonsense:

"TriggerScripts": [
    "scripts/TriggerHelper.js",
    "random/survivalofthefittest_triggers.js"
  ],

and looking into the "Survival of the Fittest" script, I found that indeed it disables building, the point of that map being to survive successive waves of enemies (not water!...)... :rolleyes:

I still wonder how this ended up in my "Flood" map. Editor bug feature?

impossible to construct any 1st age buildings [...] at least houses were still allowed

Why do you always write statements that contradict itself...

Did you generate a  "Survival of the Fittest" before? Then it could be due to this bug.

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Maybe it was supposed to work like "Extinct Volcano" (I believe), where after some time indeed the whole map is flooded

I'm working on such a diff :D (Not the whole map will be flooded)