Link

-Muslim horse archer

Link

-Aragonese light cavalry

Link

Are those ideas good?

Edited by Abadu

Good research.

I think, that it isn't for now necessary to have exact names for all units, so I won't bother you with it (but if you find some, it would be still cool). We just need accurate units list so we can start working on it.

I have some nice models of horses.

Unarmoured, with barding and gothic knight. With popper usage of transparency, these can look really well (I hope, that 0AD will support transparency). And yet are quite low on polygons (I think, that they don't even reach 300 faces).

Just keep in mind, it isn't necessary to have correct names, but rather correct unit types (it doesn't mean, that you don't perform great research). I mean, not all nations must have all unit types. If come concentrated on cavalry, they can have weak infantry (if it was so).

I have some nice models of horses.

Unarmoured, with barding and gothic knight. With popper usage of transparency, these can look really well (I hope, that 0AD will support transparency).

It does support transparency. The main limitation is that you can't combine transparency with player-colour (i.e. where it makes some parts of the texture match the colour of the player who owns it) on a single mesh. But you can use multiple meshes for a single unit, e.g. one mesh for the horse and one mesh for the rider (and one for the rider's shield, one for his weapon, one for his head, one for his helmet, ...), so normally that's not a problem.

(Actually, our current horses use that colouring system to change the horse textures into randomised colours (not actually player-colours - just various browns and greys - but they're implemented the same way), so we still can't use transparency on them. But, anyway, it should be possible to achieve the effect you want by some method :))

It does mean that, and it is a little annoying - it's just a compromise to improve efficiency and simplicity (both for the engine and for the artists). Polygons are quite cheap, so you could probably use a few more of them to make the detailed shapes.