General Questions

Impeached

Hey, I just found this site and I though I'd post some of the ideas/questions I had.

-Will the scenario editor have fully customizable units (not just stats, like reload time, projectile graphic, etc.)?

-Will the scenario editor be simple (like the AoK format), or more complex (like AoM/AoE3)?

-Will the scenario editor have some sort of location system like Starcraft (where you place locations in the editor and move them around how you want, then make things happen at them with triggers)? It would be nice.

Suggestions:

-Custom AI's, sounds, etc. sendable with the scenario in multiplayer (I don't know if this is planned).

-In the FAQ, you said in answer to "How can I join a multiplayer game? Will there be a lobby?" that there probably wouldn't be one. I would suggest when your game is done to contact www.igzones.com, if the game is successful.

Anyway, what I've seen so far looks good, although I have one thing to say: Please make .BMP screenshots too. :)

Edited by Impeached

Will the scenario editor have fully customizable units (not just stats, like reload time, projectile graphic, etc.)?

Scenarios are just a special case of mods (which can replace anything in the game) - once you've created a scenario, you could decide to create a new unit type and new textures and new models and whatever, and then use that new unit in your map, and then package all the files up and distribute them in the same way as you would distribute a plain scenario. (Technically you can't modify a single unit, you can only modify unit templates - but the editor can hide the distinction by just creating a new template for every customised unit.)

(That's not all implemented yet - we're missing the editor support for it, since it hasn't been a critical part of the development so far, but it's supported by the engine and by the design.)

Will the scenario editor be simple (like the AoK format), or more complex (like AoM/AoE3)?

The aim is (obviously) to make it intuitive and easy to use, though I don't know how to measure how well it's succeeding at that so I just hope it's alright :). In some ways it's necessarily more complex than AoK, because the game is 3D and so there's just more stuff to think about than in a 2D game. But AoM's editor's UI always annoyed me with lots of windows floating about and getting in the way and intercepting the arrow keys - I think our interface layout is more similar to AoK's, and I use it without getting annoyed. But I've never actually done any proper map designing in either AoK [actually SWGB] or AoM/AoE3 so I'm not sure what the significant differences are, so maybe someone else has a clearer idea.

Will the scenario editor have some sort of location system like Starcraft (where you place locations in the editor and move them around how you want, then make things happen at them with triggers)? It would be nice.

Don't know yet, but it seems like a sensible idea to consider.

Custom AI's, sounds, etc. sendable with the scenario in multiplayer

That fits in with the 'scenarios are actually mods' concept.

In the FAQ, you said in answer to "How can I join a multiplayer game? Will there be a lobby?" that there probably wouldn't be one

That FAQ is probably years old, so it's quite possible that we'll end up doing something different ;). I expect the main problem is hosting, but I don't see that as a major problem (since it'd probably need less bandwidth than our web site), so we'll see how it goes.

Please make .BMP screenshots too. :)

All the screenshots are originally PNGs, but they're far too large to use on the web so we have to put up with JPEGs :)

My vague guess is that it'll be higher than what's in the old FAQ, but not by a great amount - maybe double the suggested RAM and CPU would be more reasonable. We still don't require any features that aren't available on the GeForce 3, and performance seems perfectly acceptable with my GF4 (after disabling fancy water and full shadows). So it's certainly a lot heavier than AoK, but any computer from past few years should still do alright :). (But I am just guessing, and we won't have an actually good idea until things are finished and optimised and tested, and then we can add low-quality options if that helps at the bottom end.)

Minimum requirements are always in flux, as we are still developing the game. Needless to say, the more powerful the computer the better. But to give you an idea, you'll probably need a processor that's 1.4 GHz or faster and at least a Geforce 6 series/Radeon 9 series or higher graphics card to get the game to look close to our screenshots. Although, the game will have options for lower spec computer (no self-shadowing, non-reflective water, etc.) that will allow a computer with a Geforce FX to run the game reasonably well. That's what we're looking at at this stage. Keep in mind, minimum processor speed will probably go up as we implement more high level and low level AI and pathfinding, as those thing eat up processor bandwidth like nothing else. :)

Ah its been a while since we've gotten some good questions about the editor - I'll use this as an opportunity to offer you guys some more info.

Firstly, welcome to our forums Impeached. 0AD is a project the concept of which originally started in 2001 as a mod for Age of Kings. The team expanded and raised its standards and dreams until eventually the production of a "from scratch" 3d game and engine began in early 2004. Currently the game is (at best estimate, though really these figures mean nothing in the long term) is at 45-48%, assuming that ~50% is when we can begin putting in the gameplay mechanics and slowly shift from doing technical work to game design work to begin making 0AD play the way we want...and assuming that 75% is a pre alpha, and 90% a closed beta...95% an open beta, and 100% version 0AD verison 1.0 [these figures are based on nothing, so don't take this as an official statement - each person on the team has a roughly different idea on our progress]

We have a in-game video in the works which should be out soon, and the team has taken that as an excellent opportunity to impliment basic triggers and cinematics into the editor as well as work on numerous bugfixes to make the game more presentable. Its the first time in development that most of our resources are dedicated not to technical low-level coding and systems but rather to actually bugfixing and working on gameplay elements. Neat times :)

As for the editor - this is a feature that right now exists exclusively for are barebones shoe-string needs. This means that most everything is not yet complete - however is extensively planned and documented and supported by our engine.

-Will the scenario editor have fully customizable units (not just stats, like reload time, projectile graphic, etc.)?

Being a hardcore scenario designer, and having a team that is 75% intact from the HG RTS community of hardcore gamers, modders, and designers we have been working with tools like this for years and have high hopes and standards for the kind of power and functionality we want to use. There are a plentiful quantity of very creative and groundbreaking ideas and concepts we would like Atlas to have - as Philip mentioned the terms Mod and Scenario for 0AD are blurred. You can think of a scenario as a small-scale mod who's source and data is derived from its higher parent mod. What this means is that a majority or in most situations, all of the data like textures, units, stats, scripts, being used for your scenario will be the ones from 0AD. But should you choose to create new units, or art, or stats or even gameplay you have the power to do so. This is done by letting our game treat every scenario as if it were a mod. Each time you load a scenario, if you have any custom data included with the scenario the game will use that data instead of the stock data it comes with.

All custom data or files are packaged up within the scenario file so there are no issues with having to overwrite game data. Infact you should never have to overwrite anything in 0AD - this approach to modding we are seeking to phase out and trully give a modder complete power and support from the game engine.

So to answer your question, yes you can do that as well as create your own entire RPG or game in your little scenario, borrowing as much as you'd like from the core 0AD game or any future game made on our engine.

To reiterate, a scenario map is like a mod that is only applied to the scenario. A regular mod works exactly the same way just that it isn't limited to working on a scenario and can be stand-alone.

-Will the scenario editor be simple (like the AoK format), or more complex (like AoM/AoE3)?

This is hard to say, as with anything that uses new ideas it intially will be received with a little salt and frustration. We however plan to have a complete help library built right into the editor, with roll-over help if possible and a rich database of information you can retrieve right within the editor. In terms of layout - AoM and AoE3's editors have perhaps the worst UI and design I have ever encountered. In terms of layout 0AD is roughly closest to Age of Kings, though trully our editor is it's own. If perchance you remember the Editor mods created for Age of Mythology - myself and a person called Reyk were the ones pushing that front back in 2003-2004 - you can rest assured that 0AD's editor will make alot of sence and if you know the basics the learning curve will be short and sweet.

Here is what we are aiming for: these are some concepts created in 2004 for our Atlas design document (70+ pages describing the features of the editor). This is the layout and design we are aiming for and already implimented though like I mentioned the editor is on shoe-strings mode right now and has only what is vital to current development.

Trigger Tool Terrain Tool

Object Tool

Beaware that these are concepts of what we intend to do. I can also already say it won't like exactly like this, but the layout and mechanics are right on track.

Will the scenario editor have some sort of location system like Starcraft (where you place locations in the editor and move them around how you want, then make things happen at them with triggers)? It would be nice.

Absolutely. The design we have in mind is a coordinate system where you can place points on the map and do a connect the dots type thing to create a closed shape, defining the area. Additionally you can use the classic style of selecting tiles, or perhaps specifying a radius. None of this is currently implimented to design so I can't promise everything will work, though once again this is what we will try.

Suggestions:

-Custom AI's, sounds, etc. sendable with the scenario in multiplayer (I don't know if this is planned).

All supported through our system mentioned above that treats a scenario as a mod - this as well bypasses sync problems associated with replacing files (this will NOT be allowed online to prevent cheating, replace files and you will mess the game up and it won't let you play online - it will be alot easier to simply make a mod and then manage which mods the game will use through a menu.) What I really didn't expect when we were planning Atlas is that the vast majority of new features that have not been done yet that people suggest - we've already planned them years ago, usually in much more detail and scope. ;) Content Designers, you will be in good hands - I again emphasize this team was started from people who did exactly this kind of thing for fun.