Question about Spartan women.

Beritra

As far as we know from sources, full-fledged Spartans were forbidden to engage in crafts and agriculture. Question: is there any evidence that Spartan women could do it if the women of the helots could do it instead of them? Maybe it's worth replacing "spartiatis" with helot or other women? Or even introduce male workers?

Edited by Beritra

So, we just happen to be working on the spartan encyclopedia at the moment. So I've done some research

First, I think we all understand that the game is a simplified version of the game or technically Sparta's merchants would be heavily nerfed and also Greeks would have to have a custom olive field, be able to train chickens and have a bonus with sheep and goats (because in the mountains of Greece the other animals wouldn't be as good).

The spartan women I know for a fact managed the households (just like other Greek women did except with more power) Someone could argue that we shouldn't have any Greek women because most of them would be in the houses.

However, I like the women worker thematically, and I think Spartan women would have as much chance of working in the field as Roman and other Greek women.

Also, the citizen soldiers are also working, so we'd have to turn them all into helots/other people who lived in Sparta.

Another interesting thing to note in this pull request here: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/7 It says that some of the Spartan warriors weren't Sparta but other groups as well, so there might be some women who are not strictly spartan working in those fields...