Unit voice lines

alextheo

If we issue a command to a unit before its voice line ends, the voice line will be repeated, overlapping the previous one. In my humble opinion, this is a serious audio problem as double clicks and immediate changes in decision-making are usual. The following might be a good strategy to solve it: Add a timer for every unit which is set when the unit uses a voice line. As long as the timer is not reset, the unit is silent. Upon reset, the unit has a chance of using a voice line. You get the point.

• Like 2

Do i get you right: When you order a unit to do something the voice line and a timer is started. As long as the timer is not reset no other sound-track will be played.
What do you mean by reset? does some process have to reset the clock, or does the reset happen when the timer reaches zero.

I don't know how it's implemented. It would be nice that the voice line sets the unit to mouth-idle when the voice line ends. There would be no timer required.

• Like 1

I actually use the control groups to quickly change the building. For acoustic people like myself, it would be annoying if the sounds were gone for a brief period after selecting a building. Because sometimes, when i press the wrong key, i would just press the 2 neighboring keys until i hear the sound of the building i want to select. 

So, well, people are different, and personally, i am against removal of unit selection sounds. However this seems to totally make sense for movement / command sounds to me.

On the other hand, if you can expect a sound for every valid input you give, it also helps orientation when it's lag.

@sternstaub: To clarify, I am talking about units (characters) which have voice lines, not buildings.

@phositAs long as the timer is not reset, the specific unit cannot have a voice line. Other units can. So if we have 5 units, we will need 5 timers. The timer resets to 0 with a simple countdown. Of course, the setting value is going to be small, let's say 2 seconds. It should be slightly greater than the duration of the longest possible voiceline. Optimally, we would be able to use a boolean variable instead of a timer, named, for example, "talking". While the voice line is being played, "talking" is true. As soon as the voice line ends, "talking" is false and the unit can use a voice line again (the same as before or another one). This is a definitely better approach, but I do not know if it can be implemented easily. We can dump the idea of randomness that I talked about earlier. As @sternstaub said, consistent feedback is important. But a unit should not talk over its own voice / a unit's voice lines should not overlap each other! It sounds bad and peculiar.

• Like 1