Sign in to follow this  

Multiplayer in same Network

Guys my friend and I are trying to play multiplayer together. However, if he hosts i can't join him in the lobby. Last year we used the direct IP but now with the new Alpha 23 that's not possible anymore. 

I have a Mac, he has Windows PC. All Ports are opened and also deactivating the firewall didn't help. What can we do? 

Edited by Guest

yeah but then we can't play against other players in lobby right?

we want to play a lobby game so other players can join too 

Edited by Guest

You can host in the lobby and have your friend connect via ip.

edit: unfortunately, it is no longer possible that way. Possible for one to switch to another network?

Edited by cloud9

You should be able to play a public game together by joining a third person's hosted match.

1 hour ago, cloud9 said:

You can host in the lobby and have your friend connect via ip.

edit: unfortunately, it is no longer possible that way. Possible for one to switch to another network?

Is this no longer possible because lobby authentication of players joining has been made mandatory?

I think a simple mod could be made to allow someone to override the ip address the game connects to when they join a lobby match. Then you could host and your friend can use the mod to connect to the game at your local ip address instead of your public ip address.

40 minutes ago, user1 said:

Is this no longer possible because lobby authentication of players joining has been made mandatory?

Yes.

36 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

Yes.

No. (I developed it, so I know for sure ;))

Edit: After re-reading, I partially have to take that No back: If you want to host a lobbied game and then join via direct connect, that is because of lobby authentication.

It could be dependent on STUN/NAT-Hole Punching. 

Could also be because of your router, some don't allow internal devices accessing another internal device via the routers global IP

I meant you cant connect to a game hosted via the lobby via direct ip.

IIRC, this was mentioned by u1 himself sometime ago.

1 minute ago, cloud9 said:

I meant you cant connect to a game hosted via the lobby via direct ip.

IIRC, this was mentioned by u1 himself sometime ago.

Yeah, I misunderstood your No...

(Already edited my post, while you typed this answer ;)) 

For me hosting a lobby game and joining with another local device via lobby works. With and without STUN.

So odds are high, that the issue is your network/router.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, user1 said:

You should be able to play a public game together by joining a third person's hosted match.

I think a simple mod could be made to allow someone to override the ip address the game connects to when they join a lobby match. Then you could host and your friend can use the mod to connect to the game at your local ip address instead of your public ip address.

how can i do that?