0ad advertisement on largest game fair in Vienna/Austria/Europe

Odd vacuum

Hi 0ad community,

I just wanted to let you know, that this weekend we promote 0ad (as well as some other games) in a brand new German leaflet (attention: it's a 40 MB PDF file!) on the largest annual game fair in Vienna. It's taking place in the mayors house and about 70.000 people are expected. Some fellows of the Free Software Foundation Europe and a local free software businessman, who is educating children how to program with his company spielend-prorgammieren man a free software booth for three days.

We took the liberty to use two of your screen shots in order to make the leaflet more appealing since 0ad is for sure one of the best looking free games right now. We mention a few details about the game and provide a link to your page.

We are glad to share the source files, if someone is interested in it. We designed the folder with Scribus. The main text explains what free software is and why it enables users to do things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

I hope you are fine with this. This only happens because earlier this year two of your colleagues visited Vienna in order to present your project a the annual "Linuxwochen" event. Otherwise I wouldn't have known 0ad exists ...

Sure, you're definitely welcome to use our screenshots and mention the game in the leaflet. Let us know what people think about the game.

(Technically 0 A.D. supports up to 8 players, but at this point it's not optimized for that many players anyway, so that the leaflet says 1-6 players is no big deal :) )

Cool to hear that our participation in Linuxwochen has brought the game to your attention (y)

Thank you for your fast feedback, feneur. I guess we will use this folder later on as well and therefore we will have the opportunity to adapt it in the next edition. The actual one is already in print. So it's to late for that one ...

Yeah, I assumed that was the case :) But as I said, it's not a big deal, the game can't really handle that many players well yet anyway :)

• 1 year later...

This weekend I spread the big pile of black A6 leaflets which two of your team members left back in Vienna when they last visited our Linux weeks event. Our local Game City fair had it's 10th anniversary and about 80,000 people visited our city hall for this event. In about 3 hours all leaflets where gone. Many instantly where excited about how awesome the game looks like. In my opinion you should use one of your beautiful screen shots as the background with only little text on it as front page. Since you actually don't need to say much if people can just see the stunning beauty of the in-game graphics. The sliced screen shots from the present flyer obviously do show more about the variation you get, but it's to much and to small for a fast glimpse.

Hopefully you can experience an unusual increase of new Austrian players recently.

• Like 1