Random Map Script:Continent

Spahbod

Another random map script. It is a large round land in the middle of the sea. It seems a very generic map, doesn't it? Well. There is an unusual feature in this map that make is very unique. Unfortunately I won't say it. Let's see who'll find it first.:D

First click here:

Link to download

And then click on the yellow button to start you download.

Your comments are appreciated. So feel free to discuss it's weaknesses and bugs. (And the unusual feature of coarse)

A known issue:It gives warnings sometimes. They didn't affect my gameplay so far. But to recreate the warnings, simply create a new random map in atlas with seed valued "0".

Fixed it.

Well, have fun...

Edited by Spahbod

Not bad.

Suggestions:

• The shoreline should be smooth of you want sandy beaches. There also needs to be a nice transition of texture between the beach and ocean floor.

• Don't use the Temp highlands terrain texture for now. It looks ugly. I'm going to replace it sometime. Try using and mixing the gravel textures instead.

• Likewise, try putting some gravel texture at the base of the cliffs.

• Maybe try randomizing the skybox, between cirrus, cumulus, sunny, and sunny 1.

• Maybe try some lighting skins, with complimentary skyboxes. A sunset lighting skin, a "stormy"lighting skin, etc.

Updated the map. Fixed most of the things you said except the last one because I didn't get what it mean.:blush:

Added savanna biome too. It looks nice except that it's trees are very close together. I can make them less dense but it would make them harder to chop down. What is you opinion?

Updated the map. Fixed most of the things you said except the last one because I didn't get what it mean.:blush:

I meant, you could have a few sunlight effects. Namely, sunset, sunny, or stormy. You could adjust the color and angle of the sun and color of shadows, and then match them with different skyboxes (sunset1, sunset2, stormy, etc.).

Added savanna biome too. It looks nice except that it's trees are very close together. I can make them less dense but it would make them harder to chop down. What is you opinion?

If you look at Baobab trees, you'll notice that they include 2x the amount of wood as other trees, since they have such thick, massive trunks. This will allow you to place them farther apart, while still having enough wood on the map. (y)

Great maps! These should definitely be included in the next release, all of them.

A tiny note: You may try to give the continent a less circular shape and make it more natural. I don't know how hard this would be from a scripting point of view, but those circle-continents always bugged me in every RTS that has the "Continent" option.

Great maps! These should definitely be included in the next release, all of them.

A tiny note: You may try to give the continent a less circular shape and make it more natural. I don't know how hard this would be from a scripting point of view, but those circle-continents always bugged me in every RTS that has the "Continent" option.

Thanks.

About the shape, the very first version of the map (that I didn't upload on net) had such a shape and I liked it much more than the current one. But it sometimes had some very odd behaviors and I decided to use a circle instead.

Mythos: Thanks for your help. Savanna maps now look more real. Updated the map.

Today I'm going to make a new random map. Although it may need some more animals be added into the game. Like onegars and desert cheetahs.

Edited by Spahbod

Looking good. A few things (of course!):

• I'd make the sun angle less vertical. It makes weird shadows on the slopes. Plus a slightly lower angle gives nicer shadows from trees and buildings.
  • Make sure the terrain beneath the starting Civic Centres is flat.
  • The cliffs should probably be 3x taller.

Keep up the good work. victory.gif My main issue is with terrain blending. Keep experimenting. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Map Updated. Fixed some minor problems. Also made the continent body look more random although it is overall circular. Look at this picture:

Just download it again from the first post to see.

cool... i like your effort to make your random maps less symmetric (i also seen the lake random map) (y)