0ad Font Builder

Historicity

I believe all the tools used to make the game will be released when the game is, so that modders can do almost anything that we can. There haven't been plans to release anything before then; but if people would find the tools useful now, it seems reasonable to me to make them available.

The Font Builder doesn't really do anything hugely special - it just generates bitmaps like this (with 605 glyphs) from TTF fonts - but it can handle Unicode characters (which is the main reason we didn't use somebody else's, since they all seemed to be limited to ASCII), and packs the glyphs reasonably efficiently (which is necessary when storing six hundred of them per font). If anyone else has similar needs, and can't find any other programs that would work, I'd be happy to tidy up the code a little and release it. That requires non-zero effort, but I think it would be worthwhile if somebody would actually make use of it.

It doesn't let you actually edit fonts - you need to have the font in a TTF file (or other similar formats) first, then choose some settings (size, boldness, italicness, spacing, characters to include, etc), then it builds a bitmap image. You can open that in a paint program, though there's not a lot you can do to the image - the characters are all shuffled around and packed tightly, so you can't easily decide to e.g. draw a cross inside the 'o'. If you want to actually edit the font, it's far better to get a TTF editor. (I don't know of any, though).

So... No, it doesn't have any paint features, but you can open the converted image in a paint program, but I can't think of any situations where one would want to do that :)